Why aren't Champ Karts more popular?

Because people can’t wreck their way to the front in a champ.
This is a great observation. With open wheels you have to be much cleaner, smoother, and far up on inside of the next kart to pass. Even bumper to bumper contact is likely to hook the front kart and end in disaster for both racers.

I just picked up a champ for my son. He is 14 years old 5’11” and 158 lbs. I have 5 lbs of lead on the left side of the seat on our flat kart and we are 8 lbs over the 320 min weight for JR3. JR Champ weight of 360 and he can move right up so SR champ with the same chassis and engine package. We will still race the flat kart and are looking forward to the buggy fun!

Several factors I suppose.
Initial cost, weight, less nimble handling, lack of sufficient numbers already, under-powered engine options, with slower lap times than flat karts.

After driving a convertible flat out stuck through a corner, who wants a sedan that drives like a truck and have to lift and roll the corners?

Now, give them some power and it's game on. At the very least, WKA unrestricted animal...Better yet, limited mod or small block open and then it's game on.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
i was just talking to several guys at the track about this, this weekend. Champ Karts definitely need more HP behind them.

Just made the switch to champs a month or so ago. LOVE IT. Way better (my opinion i know) than the flat kart. Everyone said I wouldn't like it because they run tight and this and that. Luckily the Falcon I got has been nice and free through the corner just like my Triton flat kart was. I guess being strapped in reminds me of being in my big car. Already have more wins in it than I did with the flat kart. Now my son wants to make the switch (he drove mine in practice one night) but there's not many around here that run blue plate and I'm not sure he's ready to run with the adults yet. I'd love to get him in one though.

On the adult side of things, i tend to believe its just the overall size and weight of the champ that keeps more from being involved.
Agreed! The 425# weight is kind of ridiculous.

Did they ever offer a lighter class in champ karts? My champ weighs 180#'s race ready. I could easily make weight if they offered a 375# class as could several people at the track. Several champs come out for the money events but it's not worth it to them for a regular show due to the weight.

When AJ moved up to Sr champ @14, I don't think he weighed 100# soaking wet. We had lead all over that car to make 425#. Fortunately, we always ran the animal engine, either gold plate, black plate, or unrestricted (at our home track.) Unrestricted animal on a champ kart is a fun class. It's enough power that if you make a mistake, you can make up for it a lap or two later. Makes for more passing than just freight train follow the leader bump and run type racing with lesser HP (in my opinion of course.)
Champs could definitely use lower weight and higher HP.
For a while, the winged champs were making some ground, now it appears that they are declining (I really don't know the reason for that.)
Winged outlaw cage karts (sprung cages) are still growing in popularity, but they've got all kinds of engine combinations - from LO206 to BPd clone to 250 & 500cc engines.

We may end up with a champ but all I can think about is the added expenses. Belts, one man stand to lift it, we don't have a trailer and I don't think I can haul a flat and a champ in a bed. I can two flats. I feel like they wear parts out faster too like clutches and heims. Don't know, just want my daughter safe and to want to race, but these things do weigh on my mind, outside looking in.
Seems like setups would be way different too, and it takes a lot to get our flat karts to keep up.
This is my, "why everyone doesn't have one", rant. A wing, although they look cool, just adds expenses to me.

When AJ moved up to Sr champ @14, I don't think he weighed 100# soaking wet. We had lead all over that car to make 425#. Fortunately, we always ran the animal engine, either gold plate, black plate, or unrestricted (at our home track.) Unrestricted animal on a champ kart is a fun class. It's enough power that if you make a mistake, you can make up for it a lap or two later. Makes for more passing than just freight train follow the leader bump and run type racing with lesser HP (in my opinion of course.)
Champs could definitely use lower weight and higher HP.
For a while, the winged champs were making some ground, now it appears that they are declining (I really don't know the reason for that.)
Winged outlaw cage karts (sprung cages) are still growing in popularity, but they've got all kinds of engine combinations - from LO206 to BPd clone to 250 & 500cc engines.
Southeast sprint car racing is non existent for the most part, so a lack of interest

Southeast sprint car racing is non existent for the most part, so a lack of interest
Yea, I get that, but it grew rapidly in the NE then sort of died out. FWIW, winged outlaw karts are doing well at Millbridge right now. That could well be just the celebrity effect though.

My son is 14 and 2023 will likely be his last HOORAAA in JR3 blue plate. After being new racing in 2021, we found our way off the struggle bus and into contention in 2022… even parked it in the winners circle a handful of times and local and region races with a lot of help from great people. My son is pretty good in the flat kart. If we aren’t right, I know it’s because I am holding him back, but we got the point where 90% of the time we both get 90% right. So we decided to pick up a buggy! First off all, what kid wouldn’t like to ride one of those! You’ve a roll cage! You get to strap in like you’re in a real race car! Then they beat you to death because they are so stiff! LOL 😂 ok in all seriousness we picked up a buggy and have run respectably to begin the year. I did it to give my some the chance to continue to grow. Racing a buggy is certainly different than a flat kart. You have to be smoother, cleanser, and plan your passes WAY in advance. The drivers POV is different than in the flat kart and he has had to learn where the corners of the kart are so he’s not going around the middle of the corner. More than anything, it’s fun for us to do it together. We have plenty of good tires Left over from the flat kart. I’ve run really well on a very thin Maxxis (dots gone) and a chewed up, blistered edge punching 58-61 that I would never put in a flat kart.

Back