Why Is predator “out the box”

What’s the deal on these “stock” predator classes with people advertising the engine builder on how they just “cleared everything up” isn’t that no longer “out of the box”

What’s the deal on these “stock” predator classes with people advertising the engine builder on how they just “cleared everything up” isn’t that no longer “out of the box”
Seems pretty simple to me, around here that's the way it's in forced if the track suspects someone was in it, they tech it OR the track claims it and puts it out of circulation .

Seems pretty simple to me, around here that's the way it's in forced if the track suspects someone was in it, they tech it OR the track claims it and puts it out of circulation .
Yeah around here we got some TECH Officials building "stock" predators. I think my biggest issue is the inconsistency in tech. Seems to be some favorites

True at Owosso Motorsports Park the stock predator class demands the AKRA Big Pipe, 10.8 LBS springs, governor removed, stock flywheel (Honda Genuine not chinese due to the fact the chinese ones are unsafe for 5,000+ RPMS), stock everything else, racing plugs allowed, 5,800 max rpm

To be honest with you it's basically just like the clone class, the Owosso stock predator class is so similar to the clone rules that in fact if a clone 196cc guy comes they will either combine it with Stocks Predator or combine stock predator and clone at Owosso. Obviously the only difference between the 2 are the displacement which is 212cc vs 196cc clones, otherwise rules are so similar, a predator is basically a 212cc clone

Nah, just history repeating it's self with a clone of the clone.

Ya sure does sounds similar to the clone head deal we just went through .
Lol exactly, but honestly I like that we can mod em up like the clones, im a speed demon, plus i love the 212cc because it's bigger displacement than the 196cc clones, honestly let's just call it the Predator class or the 212cc clone class, or even better just call the clone class and rules are any 196 or 212cc clone and whatever mods the track wants, i really don't see a disadvantage there, the only difference is the displacement anyway

I think what you are referring to is the term "blueprinting". Predator engines are designed to be machined/manufactured within certain tolerances or specs. In the manufacturing process, usually because of poor quality control, the specs of a finished engine can be slightly off. So many of these engines come from the manufacturer or "out of the box" with defects. For instance the cylinder bore may not be perfectly round, the connecting rod is a little short, the head has flash metal in the air passages, the circumference of the intake is a little small, a paper gasket is too large and partially blocking air flow, etc. Each one of these defects will reduce the performance of the engine. To get the most power from a Predator a builder will "clean up" or correct these defects usually resulting in increased engine performance.
Whether one chooses to take the literal interpretation of "out of the box" or the implied one of, the specs of this engine meet the manufacturers intent, is up to you.

Tech the stock exhaust and stock carburetor. We didn't see much of an advantage to a "cleaned up" engine and if you do, just claim it if you're able.

The price seems to be about double for a "cleaned up" one. Well worth the claim for all that machine work. Should last longer at the very least.

I spent a lot of time researching the indifferences of these predator engines when I raced a local predator class to "try it out". Along with much help from Jody over at ARC we discovered that although these predator engines are ideal for saving money/ budget classes, there are too many variables with each engine that within the "stock power-curve" of these motors it really becomes more noticeable than one would think. Going through each engine properly to ensure the first is no different than the next requires time and money that throws the main benefit of these engines out the window. Heads, headgasket thickness (and therefor compression), spring pressure and other specs will vary slightly between engines. And if the track lets the 196 and "tin-head" predators run with the hemis, they are already at an almost .5 hp disadvantage along side the hemis. For most of the tracks that offer a predator engine class, many track employees and techs are "deputized" as engine blueprinters/ assemblers and "engine sealers" which this too adds another loose variable.

If you're racing in a budget class but your tire game is on point, be prepared to have fingers pointed at you and numerous inspections/ taredowns. A personal example: At the time, replacement hemi filters were hard to come by so I modified a plastic Folgers coffee lid, cut a standard air filter in about half and adhered it to the lid using a strong silicone. I had created my own DIY K&N style filter that fit perfectly in the stock air box. I got DQ'ed for winning both heats with such a scandalous and advantageous mod and they forced me to use the factory (now like 10 races old) stock air filter... I went back out with said stock filter and still won by a quarter track...

Supposedly the new "ghost" engines are built to be as close to the next, but an actual sanctioning body or universally understood guideline for modifications is necessary. But by doing so, the cost factor that appeals to so many is then compromised. Its a bit of a conundrum.

Back