Why the spec tire?

Prorookie34

Why do tracks mandate certain tires? A few tracks up north mandate Burris 33, but what is the main purpose? Level the playing field was my theory, but maybe someone can explain it better. Thanks.
Also if you're going to mandate for leveling the field why not go with the cheapest tire. Burris seems like one of the more expensive ones.

Why do tracks mandate certain tires? A few tracks up north mandate Burris 33, but what is the main purpose? Level the playing field was my theory, but maybe someone can explain it better. Thanks.
Also if you're going to mandate for leveling the field why not go with the cheapest tire. Burris seems like one of the more expensive ones.
They last longer, yes levels the playing field to a degree, and I do agree it doesn't make much sense but Mike is right at some tracks they do have deals like maxxis. Some of the other tracks in the area see this tire rule and for the benefit of the racer save them the trouble and just do it to.

Burris has never paid any track to spec there tire, what they do is offer a total $$$$ amount of credit, based on Avg kart counts, and a reduced price from retail on any product's they carry, what most promoters / track owners do is use those products as awards for there point program, or give away's as door prizes at there annual banquet .
And yes it is a benefit to the racers for regular friday and saturday night points programs that are running on very tight budgets, Using there program we were able to give away lots of free sets of tires over 20 yrs, and when we had that special fund raiser event you could count on Burris to donate even more at NO cost, which we would raffle off or auction off and turn into $$$$$

Cost… for most tracks in our area you can run half of the year on the same set of tires. For open Burris you would need sets of 22, 33, and 44, 55 for some instances (maybe 11s too) at a minimum. Open tire you would need at least 5 sets of Maxxis to compete in your current class at Stateline per year. I would have a new set of scuffs every week…

We ran last weekend at a mostly Burris track. I had directly asked about tires and was told Burris except the open classes. OK. Ran in SBO, finished 2nd on Vegas, only to be told open means RWYB. Funny, they never said a word when we practiced and qualified on Vegas.

First off, it's business.
If a track mandates a tire, that automatically means a certain numbers of sales for that manufacturer.
For doing that, the manufacturer gives kick backs in many forms to the tracks for that. Especially in terms of Maxxis, the track gets so much per entry from Maxxis on big shows and honestly most tracks rely on that to keep the gates open. Simple as that. Without the money from these tire companies a lot of tracks would have shut the doors long ago. That's the sad reality of our sport.

Outside of that, yes there are other reasons they do it. But, I assure you NOTHING out weighs the all mighty dollar. And, you can't say they don't make money or they wouldn't still be in business. Yes, Maxxis and other tire companies make tires for other markets, but I assure you no business will continue to support any department in their business that doesn't generate profit.

We ran last weekend at a mostly Burris track. I had directly asked about tires and was told Burris except the open classes. OK. Ran in SBO, finished 2nd on Vegas, only to be told open means RWYB. Funny, they never said a word when we practiced and qualified on Vegas.
So rwyb and open are different?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was starting to think (after our awards banquet) that it was just to benefit the tracks, but knowing that Burris alone, makes all those compounds, does help keep cost down. Cause Lord knows, some of you will spend it, if it's available to spend.

We ran for points on an extremely low budget and finished great. I would of gotten physical if I had the money into my program as some of the people we raced with, given the payout for these points. We spent thousands, and barely got a hundred. Seriously.

I was even more salty about it all, when I seen Burris didn't seem to pay out anything either.

Sounds like there is a chance the track was just looking out for us, all along.

Small block open has to be 14.5 c.i. or less and be of the typical 5hp 4-stroke engine design. RWYB allows big blocks, 2 strokes, snowmobile engines etc etc.

So rwyb and open are different?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was starting to think (after our awards banquet) that it was just to benefit the tracks, but knowing that Burris alone, makes all those compounds, does help keep cost down. Cause Lord knows, some of you will spend it, if it's available to spend.

We ran for points on an extremely low budget and finished great. I would of gotten physical if I had the money into my program as some of the people we raced with, given the payout for these points. We spent thousands, and barely got a hundred. Seriously.

I was even more salty about it all, when I seen Burris didn't seem to pay out anything either.

Sounds like there is a chance the track was just looking out for us, all along.
Points in karting now, are just an attendance award.
Have never raced anything for what we could get out of it, monetarily speaking.
Burris use to give away plenty of stuff to burris tracks, to give to racers, but we never got cash as an incentive.
haven't asked anyone with true "in the know" what they do now.
As far as all the different compounds in Burris, 95% of the time in a flat kart we will be on 33s

Back