Why would someone make a motor mount up high? motor placement?

ephenj93

So as many that have been following all of the most newb questions ever on this forum. I came across the issue of the motor mount on the Legend vision one chassis I have. I got a nice new flat mount one to put on it and have heard not to have it go past the bar that braces the two motor mount rails. I would love to have it just past it but from all the reading on here that will hurt handling most likely if I'm correct.

Prior I had thought the kids I got the kart off of made the original motor mount but later noticed they didn't. That being said it ran a alcohol flat head briggs motor with the motor about 5 inches up off the frame. Talking with my bro we couldn't come to a conclusion why the owner made the mount so tall. The only thing that I could think of since the center of gravity is higher on a banked corner with the weight being up higher could it cause the kart to want to roll that way, in turn giving more bite to the outside tires????? Could be as simple as he didn't want it hit the tire who knows lol. Just seemed really odd to have it so far up there's a picture attached. Would love to hear peoples theory's and where the best placement is for a motor?

Attachments

• IMG_9583.jpg
    IMG_9583.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 129
Definitely the wrong tires, mount, and seat. 15* mount is fine for clearance of the air filter over the RR tire, but you should not need it up so high. The turf tires probably dictated that. For bouncing around a backyard, that seat would be fine (and is probably more comfortable than your typical layback style oval seat used in racing) for that application.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Like Brian said, get you a nice PMI 15deg International mount and get rid of that set of stilts if you are racing the kart.

It can be moved forward some .
Chain can get long , weight % some .
Theres a t2 burris on there now .
They are big and hard too clear .

Should have mentioned that it was raced at some paved oval. Has a winning sticker on the original body. After thinking about it I just contacted the kids i bought the kart off of. Found out they actually made the mount just to make it clear the rear tire with the ghost motor on it and to be able to reuse the chain lol. I have 3 legit seats just gottta admit that one is comfy lol. I have slicks on it now and am putting a built tilly on it. For some back yard dirt oval fun. Buddy runs his track every Sunday.

As far as where u put the motor what are the reasons to stay behind the middle brace bar? Is it weight im guessing is to far forward? I know that a super long chain is also a drawback. Right up to it almost makes a perfect fit. Granted I’d like the intake a little farther away I could just move the spindles out a1/4 of an inch. Where do you guys like to have ur motor or rather where should it be lol. Thanks for ur time. Here’s a few mock up photos.

Attachments

• A5BFA9B0-5E52-4F65-9C68-5B8477B0AE5D.jpeg
    A5BFA9B0-5E52-4F65-9C68-5B8477B0AE5D.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 51
  • 99AE0595-461A-48AE-9F9D-440705F9AB9A.jpeg
    99AE0595-461A-48AE-9F9D-440705F9AB9A.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 51
Picture 2 shows why it can't be too far forward . The front clamp starts getting in the bend . There always pretty close on the tire . Had too add a half inch spacer on my flathead for tank clearance .

Picture 2 shows why it can't be too far forward . The front clamp starts getting in the bend . There always pretty close on the tire . Had too add a half inch spacer on my flathead for tank clearance .
Yeah I have an extra burris motor plate, Is there anything wrong with stacking one on top of another motor plate? One plate thickness higher I could see helping. Thanks flatop for the info. Is there a rule of thumb where you want to place the motor on the rails, for example how far from the rail brace? I've read tons of different people say an inch back, or to get as close as possible, and obviously weight distribution a huge with only small moves I'm guessing.

Stacking plates is fine by me .
I think a standard length chain is 106 links . So wherever it lands with that length is were it gets tightened down at .

As a general rule, the lower you can set any weight the better. Exception for asphalt is under rainy conditions with low rip.

As a general rule, the lower you can set any weight the better. Exception for asphalt is under rainy conditions with low rip.
That's why I went with the mount in the photos it's perfect sits so low. I know people like to run some angle on the motor, what are the draw backs it you run it flat? Guessing chain loosens up easier all those fun things lol. It will be low well as low as it can be, and the intake clears the RR still no prob. I'll get some photos of it all together if I ever get a chance to work on it lol. Been working primarily on the engine.

That's why I went with the mount in the photos it's perfect sits so low. I know people like to run some angle on the motor, what are the draw backs it you run it flat? Guessing chain loosens up easier all those fun things lol. It will be low well as low as it can be, and the intake clears the RR still no prob. I'll get some photos of it all together if I ever get a chance to work on it lol. Been working primarily on the engine.
Most times the reason for the angled mount is to save the tire if there is not enough space.

Most times the reason for the angled mount is to save the tire if there is not enough space.
Yeah That's why I spent a while trying to source a intake that would put the carb out of the way like all the other intakes out there just come straight out over the rear tire and line of fire of everything. I don't remember if it was GPS or Tillotson themselves but they had said they were making a new intake that would remedy this problem but I havent heard anything yet.

Back