Widening Tire spacing

jtrent64

We run Rage Cage karts, and have to run treaded tires. Our team grew from 2 Karts to 7 karts this year and I noticed the rear tire spacing is different.

Some were ~25" from inside rim to inside rim, three were ~26" and one was ~27 inches.

We ran the 25" last season, what effect would widdening to 27" have? I think the only rule we have to worry about is entire width can not be wider than 52".

Would I widen the right rear? Would that make the car tighter or looser? I think it might make it tighter on exit?

Thanks

Jason

We run Rage Cage karts, and have to run treaded tires. Our team grew from 2 Karts to 7 karts this year and I noticed the rear tire spacing is different.

Some were ~25" from inside rim to inside rim, three were ~26" and one was ~27 inches.

We ran the 25" last season, what effect would widdening to 27" have? I think the only rule we have to worry about is entire width can not be wider than 52".

Would I widen the right rear? Would that make the car tighter or looser? I think it might make it tighter on exit?

Thanks

Jason

Most likely not just the chassis, you have different size wheels thus different off set's which is why some measure different, moving RR out would loosen the set-up.

If the kart has too much rear grip with those treaded tires dont be afraid to move out the right rear. Very typical on pavement

So I come from the world of dirt track racing, modifieds (sport). There is never too much grip! How do I tell if there is too much grip on the kids dirt oval? We are not allowed tachs or mychrons...

Too much grip will be apparent in if the kart is tight in the corners or if the kart starts bouncing or hopping in the corners. To get good side bite and drive off the corners keep your tires as close into the frame as handling will allow. Of course you need to scale and get your %'s correct as well. Also make sure you have your stagger set correctly for the tracks and the banking they have. You probably can't use the same set up for everyone of the karts you have. It will depend on the classes, motors, drivers and scaling. We put our exact same set up on a second kart and with that same driver we had to make chassis changes to get it to handle properly. Be conscious of where you are putting your lead and what it is doing to your scaling %'s.

If you can hear the engine being pulled down in the corners and the kart is not sliding at all it is likely tight. I would not have your right rear tucked in tight like flat karts always are. A hop is also an easy way to tell if the kart is tight on the right rear.

I have this problem with my 04 Buller velocity... I moved the RR out 3/4" and added 2PSI to both rear tires making it 7 & 8 PSI and it hopped like a basketball still. The 04 velocity has a split in the chassis for added flex. Think I need to clamp this to stiffen the chassis? Im running with 60 cross, `57%left, +0.5 and -2.5 camber, 0 and 1/16 toe out. I dont know what changes to make since going up in pressure and moving the RR out didnt work but I had WAY too much bight in the rear! Any advice is appreciated!!!

Back