Will a SFI 24.1 helmet comply to AKRA rules

Eric85629

I need to get my 5 year old a small helmet. I'm looking at the Zamp RZ-37Y. I was told awhile ago that any SNELL rating is required but I'm not familiar with different certifications. This Zamp is certified for SFI 24.1 and is found under karting specific categories. Some sites mention fire ratings, some mention kart racing. Is anyone familiar with AKRA rules regarding this? Thanks for the help

Side note - does any one have other affordable recommendations for youth size helmets aside from Zamp & racequip & expensive bell?

What size are you looking for? I have an sa2015 xxs race equip my son only wore 6-10 times
I currently have her in an adult HJC CL-17 XS which says its 54-55 cm. It fits very snug, like perfectly snug. I measured her head at 52.5 cm The chart I looked at says the racequip xxs is 51-52. Thank you but I think it will be too small

I need to get my 5 year old a small helmet. I'm looking at the Zamp RZ-37Y. I was told awhile ago that any SNELL rating is required but I'm not familiar with different certifications. This Zamp is certified for SFI 24.1 and is found under karting specific categories. Some sites mention fire ratings, some mention kart racing. Is anyone familiar with AKRA rules regarding this? Thanks for the help

Side note - does any one have other affordable recommendations for youth size helmets aside from Zamp & racequip & expensive bell?
Yes helmets are expensive but having a quality helmet is well worth the cost.....On a young racer helmet weight is very important......Carbon fiber helmets are much lighter...A young racers neck muscles are not strong enough for a heavy helmet... To answer your question the SFI 24.1 rated helmet is no longer legal in most series/events....The min rating at most series/events is 24.1/2010 that expires that the end of this year....You should be able to find an nos 24.1/2015 or a SA2015 that will be legal until end of 2026 for a reduced cost....Your racer will have outgrown the helmet by that time....It is also extremely important that the helmet fits properly....Safety of your driver needs to be your top priority......

Zamp confirmed that their SFI 24.1 is not related to the snell certification. Finding a youth helmet with snell certification is proving somewhat difficult unless I'm looking to spend $500 or more.

Is anyone familiar with a list of brands / models I can start looking at?

Zamp confirmed that their SFI 24.1 is not related to the snell certification. Finding a youth helmet with snell certification is proving somewhat difficult unless I'm looking to spend $500 or more.

Is anyone familiar with a list of brands / models I can start looking at?
No sir….
Snell rated
Bell GP2 is under $300
Zamp youth under $225

If not needing this season . The sizing may change .
In addition to availablity issues .
The 4Cycle Home Page has a list of Supplier's .

Search CMR 2016, that is the current Snell certification for youth helmets. You'll be able to find some nice affordable helmets like the Zamp 42Y.

No sir….
Snell rated
Bell GP2 is under $300
Zamp youth under $225
The GP2 isn’t snell rate, but it’s also not required to be by most sanctioning bodies since it has the SFI. I was on he phone for this exact reason yesterday.

Here is my son’s stamp, and the NKA Rule book we follow.

Attachments

• 24434269-66AF-4FE3-B390-8579AE49D076.jpeg
    24434269-66AF-4FE3-B390-8579AE49D076.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 233D975A-1DEA-48CF-9B11-0E1398EF7037.jpeg
    233D975A-1DEA-48CF-9B11-0E1398EF7037.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43

Dyno Don is AKRA qualified .
He could tell you the requiments .
Also get you a rule book which is a handy tool .

Back