Will a stock Tillotson 225cc sidecover blow up with a built up motor?

Making a build Tillotson motor, everyone recommended using Tillotson blocks because they're stronger, is a sidecover from Tillotson stronger also?

No, same as the clones. A stronger side cover isn't necessary for the what Tillotson does with their complete engines. The only reason we designed the block stronger is to compete against the Briggs based engines in the open classes. It was part of our contingency when developing the engine program. Since billet side covers are allowed, developing a better side cover would have only cause more delays in testing and production, consuming resources and adding to the cost to the Tillotson Engines. Therefore, it was shelved.

How crazy are you going with your build? A billet side cover is always a good addition but isnt necessary for some build.
356 or F275 cam, 40 lbs dual springs w billet retainers, billet pushrods, wiseco 3" flat top piston, Billet Rod, stock 58mm wildcat 223cc crankshaft, Tillotson 225cc block 3" bore, billet flywheel, stock Tillotson 225cc ignition, not sure on exhaust or head

with all you wrote I would go with the side cover just for added strength. Just my O2. The stock Tilly one is pretty stout but if your pushing high R's I can only seeing the billet side plate helping your set up last longer.

No, same as the clones. A stronger side cover isn't necessary for the what Tillotson does with their complete engines. The only reason we designed the block stronger is to compete against the Briggs based engines in the open classes. It was part of our contingency when developing the engine program. Since billet side covers are allowed, developing a better side cover would have only cause more delays in testing and production, consuming resources and adding to the cost to the Tillotson Engines. Therefore, it was shelved.
For us stock appearing guys a beefed up side cover that looks like a clone would be great. We go to dumb lengths at times to protect these motors and I believe that if you guys produced a product a consumer could buy and slap on, it could possibly do quite well.

Back