Will driving to easy result in poor handling?

Lucky_7

My question is the direct result of trying not to get into fellow racers while trying to pass them. During a race I can normally catch a kart ahead of me, thats normally when I start to see some handling issues. Either the kart will push slightly center off, or I get a snap loose off. I figure the snap loose is do to too much throttle while trying to get a good launch off the corner under the ahead kart. But I think the push is from not driving hard enough to plant the front chassis as I would without a kart in front of me. In both of these examples would a slightly higher cross percentage help?

Confirmation your saying when NOT in traffic Kart drives OK and when you have to run lower to pass kart pushes ?
What Class are you running ?

Clone medium, 360 Lb. Dry slick track.

Running lower on exit when getting a run on the kart ahead.

But if I'm trying to set up for a run and I'm to close too the kart ahead (resulting in a slower cornering speed) the kart will lose the front end through center off.

Clone medium, 360 Lb. Dry slick track.

Running lower on exit when getting a run on the kart ahead.

But if I'm trying to set up for a run and I'm to close too the kart ahead (resulting in a slower cornering speed) the kart will lose the front end through center off.
If it's only pushing when your setting someone up ahead I'd say your missing your entry and not realizing it.

That could definitely be it also. I wonder if i'm trying to hold the kart down.
One thing for sure if you don't enter right you cannot exit right hard to say without seeing it, you should be able to tell how much different your line is while trying this VS when your just making normal laps.

You mentioned that it would either push center off, or sometimes snap loose on exit as you applied throttle. Both can be indications that your setup is a bit on the tight side on entry - just one more thing to look at.

Just thinking out loud but could it be a weight transfer issue? Not in traffic and higher corner entry speed weight transfers from lr to rr and has a good drive off. While trying to pass the corner speed is less causing the lr tire to have too much traction overpowering the rr? Maybe moving some weight higher on seat or possibly a small 2 to 3% cross adjustment ?‍♂️

I would not make any chassis adjustment for racing at lower speed while your out of throttle setting someone up to pass, you need the chassis to be right at full speed anything else the driver needs to figure out.

Last edited:
Thought what your saying sounds right it's not.

If the track is slower you may have to do things to make it easier for the chassis to operate because there are less on track forces available to operate the chassis.

If the track is slower you may have to do things to make it easier for the chassis to operate because there are less on track forces available to operate the chassis.
I would agree some IF that were the situation, but it's not because the track is slower It's because he slows down during race to set someone up to pass, That's WHY I said what I did.
I edited other post to clarify better.

Last edited:
I'm not a driver, but I was thinking that maybe the easiest adjustment under race conditions would be body weight position.
I assume a driver leans to the left in the corners, so maybe by not leaning as far left might help unload the LR quicker in entry?
Maybe sitting up straighter might put the upper body just a tad higher which would mimic placing weight higher up on the seat?
Its just a thought...

I replied not reading any other replies except for the original posters first post.

I thought I was the first one replying to post #1

edit: I just went back and read the first post. What I read has nothing at all to do with what I replied with. I'm lost and must have replied to a totally different question or thread. ... again my response was not to what I now read in the first post. lost and on to never never land.... sorry

Might try moving your left front tie end 1 notch closer to the king pin bolt. That will help it turn under someone coming off the corner

Last edited:
To answer the question that the title ask, If you think it through the answer should be NO because anytime you have a handling issue at race speed getting out of the throttle helps you control it better NOT makes it worse. Other questions come up as the thread goes on but the answer to the title should be NO.

Back