WKA BluePlate Issues

JBR 207

Have a WKA blue plate that we are having issues with. Its was bought used, once received I immediately sent it out to be freshened up. Got it back and have had nothing but issues with it cutting out on us. Went to the extent of sending it back to our builder whom cleaned the carb, dyno'd it and sent it back. Tested with it and after the 3rd or 4th lap it started acting up. Initially we thought it was a float issue as it only seemed to happen in the corner. Re-set the float from 860 to 850 and adjusted the mixture screw to 2.25 turns out, 3910x plug. Went to a large track yesterday (by our standards in the New England) and immediately started acting up corner, straight away didn't matter. Our builder had sent a different jet set up to us last week. After the first practice we put the jets in only for it to still cough, spit ,sputter and do anything but turn up. After seeing my frustration, a fellow kart dad loaned us a carb to try. Sent the boy out and he ran 6 decent test laps ! We made one change from that test to the heat. We went from 17/58 to 18/61 gear wise. Went out for our heat and ran up front for almost the entire time until the boy made a driving error and was passed to end the heat. In preparation for the feature, we cleaned tires, changed oil, and added fuel. Went out for feature , made it 3 laps and started having our issues again. Thought we had it pegged to the carb, but it did it with the borrowed one to. Not sure how to proceed, we are rookies when it comes to knowledge about the animal so please forgive my ignorance. Any and all help is appreciated.
Sorry for the novel

Make sure the vent isn’t plugged also. If you ever notice it backfire and cut out your header/ gasket could be leaking and cause a miss.

Clean out your fuel tank real well. I've seen plastic tanks have bits of plastic sloshing around inside that will intermittently clog the fuel pick-up. Inspect the fuel valve well too. Fuel pumps generally get weak or stop altogether, but I wouldn't rule out something going on with the pump too.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Have had bad coils do weird things like that.
Valve spring if it wasn't so hit or miss.
Take off the micron wire from the plug wire for a while.
Great info,
Thank you
Clean out your fuel tank real well. I've seen plastic tanks have bits of plastic sloshing around inside that will intermittently clog the fuel pick-up. Inspect the fuel valve well too. Fuel pumps generally get weak or stop altogether, but I wouldn't rule out something going on with the pump too.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Great info, thank you

Are you buying fresh fuel from your track? How are you prepping your air filters? Too much or the wrong kind of filter oil can cause problems.

You might try a small restrictor jet in the fuel line just before the carb inlet nipple. We have used this method with a .040 “ hole in restrictor jet over the years with good success when all else fails. The Animal PZ22 style carburetor has always been finicky on tracks with tight and or bumpy corners. We believe that the engine actually gets flooded out with fuel in the corners, so the in line fuel line restrictor will maintain a more even fuel flow into the carb bowl during the conditions when the float is bouncing up and down in the corners.

Steve

Back