WMS / Walbro Fuel Pump - Repairable / Rebuildable?

67Fastbackfan

Are the square WMS fuel pumps rebuildable? If so, do they require a rebuild kit or just a cleaning?

My clone came with one and when removing it from the top plate I noticed a lot of oil around the screws

They are rebuildable yes, is it really worth the money to rebuild in my opinion no. You can buy a brand new one for less than $20.. I do take them apart and just clean them out with some wd40 every couple races. If you buy new tho take notice to the way the are assembled, I just bought two from JC specialty and the bottom was flipped 180 degrees!

Personally, I wish they were all flipped 180*! :)

Most of the WMS pumps we get in are backwards to how I orient the pulse line on our animal and 206 engines.

Another thing to caution on new pumps is to check that they are assembled correctly from the factory. All too often, one of the gaskets is pinched and the pump doesn't work -- or it has a piece of plastic stuck in it. They are certainly not the quality of the Wip 22/23 pumps, but for the price, one can't be too picky I suppose. We just make sure to check them before bolting them on now.

Always have a spare with you at the track!

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yes, you can rotate them - just make sure the pieces are oriented correctly.
Also be sure that the bolts are torqued correctly. Some guys tend to over tighten them and that warps (or strips) the plastic and then they lose pressure and fail. Depending on the stage that is leaking, it could mean fuel seeping from the pump, or it could create enough of a vacuum leak and the diaphragm won't work at all.

Yes, you can rotate them - just make sure the pieces are oriented correctly.
Also be sure that the bolts are torqued correctly. Some guys tend to over tighten them and that warps (or strips) the plastic and then they lose pressure and fail. Depending on the stage that is leaking, it could mean fuel seeping from the pump, or it could create enough of a vacuum leak and the diaphragm won't work at all.

Learn something new everyday LOL thanks

I just bought two from JC specialty and the bottom was flipped 180 degrees!

I'll probably just buy another one, but take this one apart to see whats happening inside.

When you say the "bottom" is flipped 180, do you mean line for the pulse? So, the pulse would be on the inlet side, and not the outlet? If it is flipped 180 to the inlet, can you take apart and flip it to the outlet?

Some guys tend to over tighten them and that warps (or strips) the plastic and then they lose pressure and fail. Depending on the stage that is leaking, it could mean fuel seeping from the pump, or it could create enough of a vacuum leak and the diaphragm won't work at all.

So, how tight is just right? Just enough to snug them up, or more? I think over tightening may be the issue with this one. The bolts were pretty tight

Back