Work Shop

jbracer127

Bought my first house well there still doing paperwork but im eventually going to need a storage shed or building for my karts behind the house what would be the ideal feet x feet for a kart shop? And how much do you suppose it will cost? Ive been googling alot lately and i found the prices to be all over well thanks in advance

Around here, a 12 by 20 is around $5000, and should be OK for one kart. That, of course, will never be enough room if you're anything like me. A small building such as this requires a lot of organization.

Places in this area like Builder's Discount Center and 84 Lumber offer garage kits for just slightly more, plus the cost of concrete, and are a much better value for much more usable space.

5000 eh lol didnt think it would cost that much but i need storage so i guess its a must i was hoping atleast 15 or more by 20 and think that should be good for 2 or 3 karts

I mapped out a shed that was 12x12 with 12" spacing on the floor studs and 16" on the walls with a standard pitched roof for around $1500 in materials. The way I figure, if I can work on the kart acceptably in a 6x12 foot trailer, then a 12x12 should work also, giving me room for a proper bench and overhead shelving, as well as storage in the rafters for extra bodywork, etc. The key, as noted above, is organization. However, what will really happen is that all the kids bikes and Xmas decorations and misc. other junk will move to the shed and I'll end up working on the kart in the attached garage...lol

T.H. "what will really happen is that all the kids bikes and Xmas decorations and misc. other junk will move to the shed"

Yep.

What Ted and Bumpy said, lol. Remember that with trailers, until you start gettting really large (beyond say 28 feet; we've raced full sized sprint cars out of 24 feet), as long as your truck can comfortably haul it and you can afford it, there is no such thing as too much trailer. Well, the same thing applies to shop buildings, only you don't have to worry about towing it, only paying for it and satisfying any zoning regs. We got a 14'x28' with a dutch colonial roof and a 12' loft in the back and haven't regretted that choice. Get the biggest you can afford; you won't regret it.

My garage is a modified metal carport that you see on the side of the road for $695.00 installed. When you stop to see those, you can chose from many sizes and get sides and and roll up doors. Mine is 22 x 40 with a walk thru door and a roll up door. Look into this . It may surprise you how cheap of an option these building are.I think they are built by a place called Carolina Carports.

jbracer -

Where you live I think one of the carolina carports would be a great idea - from a temperature perspective it should be okay. Hurricane wise I think it would be just as good as anything if you had it on a slab and ran a a couple or three mobile home tie down straps around it.

Base 18 X 21 x 6 = 695.00;
Upgrade to certified 12 gauge frame = 100.00
8ft tall sides = 100.00
Both sides closed = 425.00
Both ends closed = 560.00
Garage door frame out = 100.00
Walk-in door frame out = 75.00
10x8 garage door = 400.00
32x72 walk-in door 175.00
19'x22'x4" slab (5.1cuyd@90.00) = 460.00

Should run about 2630.00 for the garage (no electric). Price is installed on your slab. If you can form and pour the slab you'll have about 600.00 in materials for that, so in essence you could have a 18 x 21 garage for 3230.00 plus electric.

www.carolina carportsinc.com

I just bought an 18 x 25 x 7 to put my Hobie Cat and Jet-Ski under, hasn't been delivered yet.

They come with 14 gauge frames, the dealer that sold it to me talked me out of upgrading to 12 gauge, he pointed out that every display on his lot was 14 gauge and had been there several years of our Kansas winds.

Hope this helps.

i appreciate all the input still undecided what to do lol and i do agree it might have to hide some x mas presents from the kids and ill check into the carolina carports seems they know what there doing especially for kart racers

One of my neighbors bought a repo'd 40' singlewide for under $3,000 for a workshop. Already has sink, cabinets, wiring & lights, breaker box, and the bedroom on one end he uses for a paint room. Works well if zoning will let you. I was using 2 of them in a "T" fashion until a pine tree came down like a giant sledgehammer on one of them. Fortunately, everything of value is in the one left I still use.

lol ^ that sounds cool actually dont really want to look like sanford n son in my back yard though :p but that actually sounds really neat

a little too big for me being the only one in my family to race i think max ill run is two karts a night now i know tools tires scales and alot of other things will occupy space fast but i think around 12x20 would be enough for me but 32 x 32 would be really nice

lol ^ that sounds cool actually dont really want to look like sanford n son in my back yard though :p but that actually sounds really neat

Yeah, he actually covered the outside with roofing metal all the way to the ground (vertically), covered and sealed all but 2 windows, added french doors to drive his riding mower up a ramp and into on the end that has the hitch (now covered with a small porch) and you cannot glance at it and tell it was originally a singlewide. One window A/C chills the place nicely. Even has a hydraulic cylinder mounted through the floor vertically with a steel plate on the top. Lifts his riding mower whenever he wants to work on it.

Yeah, he actually covered the outside with roofing metal all the way to the ground (vertically), covered and sealed all but 2 windows, added french doors to drive his riding mower up a ramp and into on the end that has the hitch (now covered with a small porch) and you cannot glance at it and tell it was originally a singlewide. One window A/C chills the place nicely. Even has a hydraulic cylinder mounted through the floor vertically with a steel plate on the top. Lifts his riding mower whenever he wants to work on it.

Why does Jeff Foxworthy come to mind ? Hmmmmm.... LOL

Back