World Formula Class

We run a sealed world formula class in mass and nh. We have great #'s usualy around 20 karts. Great class with great speed. Wish that they came sealed like the 206. Nobody up here wants to run the 206 because it's so much slower. We're getting about 14.5-15hp on our dyno. We run a large portion of the NHMS track +/- .80 miles and f1 Boston outdoors. I would love to try some Road Racing but didn't think that it was an option.

Are they sealed just as they come from the factory?
Absolutely factory stock?

We are allowed to "blueprint" but we have our own club specs. We pretty much just deck the block and plain the heads to usac 1/4 midget specs and leave the rest alone. Very few even bother. Pretty much everyone just has them tagged from our Briggs dealer when they buy them.

We're also going to open up the clutches this season as well. It looks as though we're going to allow the max torque ss and Hillard Inferno. We're looking for an alternative that doesn't give any real advantage over the people that want to continue to use the titan.

what i see is this motor is a dog off the corners then just when it picks up good speed its banging the rev limiter. what kind of racing is that, take the rev limiter and it might have a chance. as Gary said it did not work in the east where sprint racers did not like this class

cd

what i see is this motor is a dog off the corners then just when it picks up good speed its banging the rev limiter. what kind of racing is that, take the rev limiter and it might have a chance. as Gary said it did not work in the east where sprint racers did not like this cla
cd

Inflammatory nonsense !

Dog off the corners? We're faster than the kt100's on the smaller sprint tracks! They're faster on the tracks with long straights for obvious reasons but we've had a grand total of 1 engine failure over the past 2 seasons. It's working on the east coast where I live, a lot of people are sick of the Rotax BS and are trading them in for World Formulas. We're about even if not bigger than tag master here with MUCH better/closer racing.

In my 3 seasons racing world formula I've seen 1 motor go. 15-20 karts per race. +/- 20 races per season
there pretty durable

We've only had one WF go in my 3 years of racing at our track, and it was a Gen 3. I believe the owner was running the wrong...or not enough oil, because it seized up and nearly blew the jug off a couple turns after the "motor eater" series of high speed high G-force sweeping RH turns.
No Lo206's have come apart that I know of, at least not catastrophically, and then, well, I think we're up to 9 clones now.

Sorry I don't live a whole lot closer To Road America, I'd be in for the suggested class, as I've always loved that track.

I believe most builders use the WF rod in their Alky and Pro Gas engines both of which are ran as high as 8300 rpm. Reliability should be great!

Why didn't Briggs seal the wf like they did with the 206? The world formula is just as reliable with 30% more hp. I've never run a 206 but we get a bit bored with the wf on some of the bigger sprint tracks.

Why didn't Briggs seal the wf like they did with the 206? The world formula is just as reliable with 30% more hp. I've never run a 206 but we get a bit bored with the wf on some of the bigger sprint tracks.

I think it was said early in the thread, that they don't want to stunt the growth of the 206, although I do like the idea of a having a "fat class" hike the weight up for the WF and lower the weight of the 206 and run together. Seems like the skinny people have to much weight on their kart. I have been looking for a cheap WF to test it out, to see if it is reasonable.

I just broke in and dynoed a brand new WF right out of the box from Briggs and it made over 1 more HP than a methanol blueprinted Animal that cost twice as much.
Everything was factory stock and on regular gasoline. The only thing a little bit different about it was that it didn't have the starter ring gear or starter on it. It had the stock exhaust, muffler, carb and air filter. Everything was stock!

I just broke in and dynoed a brand new WF right out of the box from Briggs and it made over 1 more HP than a methanol blueprinted Animal that cost twice as much.
Everything was factory stock and on regular gasoline. The only thing a little bit different about it was that it didn't have the starter ring gear or starter on it. It had the stock exhaust, muffler, carb and air filter. Everything was stock!

That is great Jimbo. More power, way less headaches and half the price. No wonder it is slow to catch on. What, its been 10 years now? The World Formula is the best deal going yesterday and today for Torque output per dollar. I have looked at the parts closely. Very closely actually. It is generally speaking, material and engineering process that is borrowed from the automotive industry. Its great stuff. Considering that the pieces are either sourced from automotive vendor pools, or manufactured by Briggs on very controlled tooling, then hand assembled by a guy that is actually watching clearances and correcting deviations, and sells it for 900 bucks, blows me away. I checked the cylinder bore and crank alignment on mine with some horrifically expensive and accurate inspection equipment and found the block to be well beyond acceptable specifications and my own expectations. This is a great engine. In fact, I am going to thrash mine a little this weekend!

Seems a little confusing why in ten years it still has not caught on east of the Mississippi? It was tryed in the WKA gold cup series back about 8 years ago and failed miserably, I think the most entries they had was something like 5. Then we have classes like the new Pro Gas Animals that have taken over the gold cup series with 30 + entries in the Sr class. I have my ideas about all this and what it takes for growth buuuttttt.......................... I think I will stick to engine building!

Steve

Back