World formula external starter?

RB-1973

Hope this is okay to post in the animal section, did not see a wf specific one.

I saw a Briggs world formula engine in a qrc sprint kart and it didn't have a pull starter on it, no electric start either. It looked like it would need an external starter... Can't find any info online about it, y'all heard of this? If so please point me to some info about it? Thanks!

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I am new to karting so I have not seen external starters on any Briggs. Maybe I am using the wrong term when searching online, but I am striking out.

So if you run an external starter, can you then run a fly-weight flywheel? Or ???

Also what is the external starter powered by? Something like an air gun?

Thanks!!

Its electric. Has a battery in a small contained unit. I would post a picture of one but I can't from my phone.look up BBT Starters on google. They are the best ones I've seen

No, starting a stock class animal is just very difficult/almost impossible with a pull starter, given the cams normally run in them. And some of us are just lazy and prefer to let the little electric beast do the job. The last class my driver ran in with a flathead, I converted that to electric start, too; the BBT made life a bunch easier...

I pull start WF all the time.
No need for a $250.00 hand held electric starter.

No, starting a stock class animal is just very difficult/almost impossible with a pull starter, given the cams normally run in them. And some of us are just lazy and prefer to let the little electric beast do the job. The last class my driver ran in with a flathead, I converted that to electric start, too; the BBT made life a bunch easier...

I have also been helping a buddy who has a couple of dirt "speedway" karts and they have the animal engine in them. I think these may be sealed engines actually, but they have pull starts on them, and are OK to pull. So when you say "stock class animal", does that have a different cam?

jeez, leave it to the new guy... ha. I think the engine that I saw in the QRC outlaw sprint kart is actually an Animal! I was searching thru some pics yesterday online and saw a pic of an animal engine with no pull start, and I am quite sure that it was what I saw on the QRC kart. I guess I was just thrown off by the fact that everyone runs the world formula in that class, but this one was a brand new kart and fooled me, ha.

If someone has put an illegal cam in a WF without the compression release on it It will be very difficult to pull start.
In fact you may get hurt when the recoil is jerked out of you hand.
If some one is using a hand held electric starter there is a reason.

I agree with Jimbo, our track rule is if you stand up you're DQ'd, so I rotate my pull starter so it pulls forward and I can easily start my WF or Clone sitting in my seat. It's only happened twice that I've spun and stalled, but it was twice that I was able to restart and finish the race instead of being DQ'd.

The electric starter isn't needed, some people like them, and I'm sure some people with mods done need them if the cam has no compression release.
I don't run the electric start on my WF, I'm too heavy to I stripped all that off to make weight. The pull start, even for a big block 420cc, has been no problem for me.

I just figured it was a speed secret to get rid of the rotating mass like the ring gear and maybe being able to change to a lighter flywheel.

I have also been helping a buddy who has a couple of dirt "speedway" karts and they have the animal engine in them. I think these may be sealed engines actually, but they have pull starts on them, and are OK to pull. So when you say "stock class animal", does that have a different cam?

Around here most animals are built to the WKA stock class rules and yes, they have different cams with no compression release, primarily Dyno AN001 and AN002 and similar; these cams are not legal for the World Formula. You wouldn't want to try and pull start a box stock animal with one of these cams, as Jimbo has mentioned.

I'm reviving this old thread.
I'm new to Animals in general.
I've been reading a lot and the AN001 cam seems very popular. I also read a few times it isn't a good idea to try pull starting one as it doesn't have a compression release..
My question is, is there a cam like or similar to the AN001 that Has a compression release on it?
If so, what cam is it?
Thanks
Danford1

Back