World Karting Assoc.

Richard

See attached

CONCORD, N.C. – Rick Dresang submitted his official resignation as World Karting Association president on Friday, November 14.

Included with Dresang’s resignation was the resignation of former WKA Chief Operating Officer Van Gilder.

See WKA web site, minutes of meeting, totally unclear why, the beginning of the end or
the end if the beginning? Hope is is not the former!!

Richard King

Maybe there is light at the End of the Tunnel! I tried making contact w/R. Dresang about this time last year but was Not 'allowed' to speak with him. My request Was buffered by Van Gilder and he was the Most 'negitive' minded 'OFFICAL' I have ever encountered....Long live IKF...:)

Light at end of the tunnel is what I would call it. My personal opinion is that there are now team members in place who actually will act and make decisions based off of what the racers, members, tracks, clubs, and series want instead of making decisions based on what one individual wants. It's no secret that member tracks, memberships, sponsors, and insurance sales have been on a downhill slide under the "leadership" of the ones who resigned. On a positive note, it has been many years since I have seen the board members, and WKA team members as enthused and energetic as they are now about reversing this trend. I have been very impressed with the effort WKA team member, Keith Shampine has put into getting the ball rolling to return WKA to the leader in our industry. If Keith and the others keep this up, I believe they will be successful.

All Sanctioning bodies start out in pretty good shape, then at some point they all seem to cave into the politics that go along with trying to please not everyone but the what about ME ones that come there way and boom here's where ya end up.
Plus as mentioned above in this structure ME ! ME ! ME ! MY WAY ! don't cut it, to make anything like this work you gotta stay on top of it and Run it for sure, what they fail to realize is put that I in Run the results are simple RUIN !

From what I've been told as of now, it is people from the existing WKA establishment who will be running things for Daytona. I think that is a decision that had to be made. Hopefully it goes well, and I think it will.
After Daytona, well then we get to the future, will it or won't it survive. Those that have read here for a long time know that I've beaten on WKA pretty hard. I have gone through a period of time where we had a lot of dealings with WKA and I've run our track up here for 30 years.I know first hand theres alot of people that will tell you how something should be done, but there are very few who will pick up the shovel and do the work.

This concept has been around since well back into Randy's time period, but after the last 10 years, its clear its time for a change.
The trustee system we have needs to be scrapped. Right now you elect trustees by geographic areas. Here iin W.i my area trustee has always been a 2 cy sprint, M Cup person. Makes since, because thats the largest racing in this area. However, I always have been a 4 cy person racing at different times oval, sprint and Road Race tracks. Never have I had a WKA area rep, who understands anything about how and what I race. Sorry talking from here to my rep has been useless, calling reps from other areas has not helped because, well I'm not from, their area. Its always gone no place.

What we need is rep's elected by us,the members, to a series. People that understand what we race and can answer specifically to that. Now days area or location has nothing to do with it, that comes from decades before free long distance calling, internet, forums and facebook.Those days are gone

If change is going to happen, and it will take change to save WKA, it has to be serious change, not just different names from the same old group. Fresh ideas, new ways of doing things. Let the racers in a given series have direct input into what they race.

Very little official information, a ton of rumors and quite a few tight lipped people. Something about this stinks, wonder what it is.

Hi Steve, as said, this concept has been pushed by me and many others going well back to Randys time, it is by no means a new Idea.
I think many of us know there have been some " issues" with at least one of the more resent leaders in this. All I will say on that is I seldom agreed with him, on anything, but he did work hard toward his vision of where this should be.
His plan I guess can be judged by others, to me its time to move on, and like most others I think that means a new plan, new vision and new way of doing things.
I also understand well, that while many of us may sit around on one of these two forums giving opinions on how this should be done, the real issue will be in finding the right people who are willing to actually do what it takes to put this in place. My guess is thats a full time job. There are many people that will tell you how to do something, a real leader also grabs the shovel.

I do not know Mr Ferris, I wish him well, if there's anything I could ever help with, I would be glad to. I hope he is the type of person to find a way around the obsticals, not someone that uses them as a crutch. I've always been told the problem with changing the Trustee system is it would need a bylaw change. This is something that in running Badger we run into at times also. It takes alittle work, but certianly no something impossible to do.
I think some positive moves right now, will get the membership again fired up and behind you, that will make the rest much easier.

All Sanctioning bodies start out in pretty good shape, then at some point they all seem to cave into the politics that go along with trying to please not everyone but the what about ME ones that come there way and boom here's where ya end up.
Plus as mentioned above in this structure ME ! ME ! ME ! MY WAY ! don't cut it, to make anything like this work you gotta stay on top of it and Run it for sure, what they fail to realize is put that I in Run the results are simple RUIN !

"You can only please some of the people some of the time, not all the people all the time"

Winston S Churchill

Back