World's most silly/stupid question

scorpaguy

Hello all...I will assume that no responses to this post will confirm my suspicions...but here goes:

Can an old (56) broken down (with a repaired shoulder and foot) get started in this sport and have some fun AND not become a total laughing stock? After selling off a lifetime of race bikes, I have been ghosting this forum. I see I have a local track and it has a senior class. However, I know not what the learning curve is. I do not need to win...just have fun AND not be a danger to the other drivers. Any advice out there?

Buy a used kart and an engine and go find out for yourself. Most tracks have practice days, that's where you start. Get a stopwatch, have someone time you. I've only heard of one person who learned this sport in less than a year.
Your expectations are right in line with most older people that I've seen. Lots of 50-year-olds have fun karting.

Hello all...I will assume that no responses to this post will confirm my suspicions...but here goes:

Can an old (56) broken down (with a repaired shoulder and foot) get started in this sport and have some fun AND not become a total laughing stock? After selling off a lifetime of race bikes, I have been ghosting this forum. I see I have a local track and it has a senior class. However, I know not what the learning curve is. I do not need to win...just have fun AND not be a danger to the other drivers. Any advice out there?
Yes. I would look into an electric kart stand (Streeter or similar).

I`m 69 years old, haven`t raced in 9 years. Have a bad back, just had surgery on my right wrist (have to wait till sept-oct for complete healing if not next year), have two karts that I`m refurbishing to get back on the track, one for vintage the other an LTO for the dirt. Life`s short, go have your fun while you can.

I started karting when I turned 57, am 59 now and racing sprint and oval track karts currently. Make sure to get an electric lift kart as previously mentioned. Go for it and have fun!!!

yes

I'm 71, still road race a Briggs 206 on a CIK chassis, and have a ball. I have had both hips replaced, one knee and likely to need the other one soon! Both shoulders are junk. Going to the gym three times a week helps, and the flexibility of a weekly yoga class will help if you get on your head.

If anything, being a little older may actually get you a little more helpful information from your fellow racers.

As mentioned above...get an electric lift! After 3 days at a road race event, karts get REAL heavy!

Nobody will laugh at you!!!!

Go to a bunch of events early this season, look around, talk to folks...and jump in. Check out dirt ovals, sprint races, and even road racing. See what interests you the most.

Have fun.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Thanks for all of the great replies...am searching the old threads for info. This certainly seems cheaper than a new $10K bike each year....and the track is only 10 miles away.

My buddy just bought some karts and parts from an 80 year old man that was still racing. The only reason he sold out was his local track closed and he didn’t want to travel. If not for that, he’d still be racing.

I'm 56 and running opens, if you want to do it, youll find a way to get it done, if you start with the likes of the stock predator, youll find theyre not that demanding physically to drive....ditto big time on the one man electric kart stand, wouldn't go to race without one....

Go for it Bud, I raced MX for years until my body couldn't do it anymore. I bought a used Dirt kart starter package and went to the nearest track, made a few friends in the pit and a few enemies on the track got my ass handed to me for awhile until I figured it out Tires, tires, tires That was 20 years ago and I still Love it
As they say SEND IT...👍

I'm 64 and still running opens. Just find ways to make the work off the track easier. I would look into a one man kart stand as you arelooking for a kart. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Not dven close too the worlds stupid question .
At a seminar for work .
We had a factory rep come in and explain the air grinders were 5 hp governed at a certan rpm .
He gets done , asks if there were any questions .
Billy raises his hand and says , Is there any way we can turn them up .
Duh - heres your sign .

Now it's 2020, I'm now facing being 65 in a couple months, and enjoy I probably enjoy life and racing more than when I was 22. I posted earlier, at our age its more about making things easier off the track. I raced a long time by myself, no help to rely on at the track or during the week, and that's how I wanted it. So make everything you do as if you have no help. Appeciate any help you are offered. One man kart stand, make your trailer so you can use it and find stuff alone, do everything you can Mon-Fri so you don't have to do it at the track. And have fun!

Back