Wow this is a first

Where once there were many Mom and Pop kart shops in small towns all over the country (where people could get introduced to the sport), nearly all of those shops are long gone now, leaving newcomers to the whims of social media influencers. And many (or most) of them think that "motor builder" is a dirty word.
As was the locally owned corner gas station.

Speck this and speck that not only kills initiative, it kills the need for it.

Contrary to what people want to believe, NASCAR is thriving. It's just thriving in a different way.
IMO, fewer people, fewer sponsors, fewer characters, less excitement, less innovation, and a smaller relationship with the car you drive on the street.
I will never understand why people want NASCAR to fail so badly.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, ever. I hear folks complain about it, but that's a far cry from saying they want it to fail.
For example, I'm guilty of saying that the perfect Nascar race is when I watch the start and fall asleep on the couch, waking up when there's 15 or 20 laps to go. :)

I received a PM shortly after posting in this thread, and I'd like to quote part of it.
"There are some who are constantly thinking of ways to improve, this takes a lot of time, knowledge, effort, and some money. Racing was built by innovators.
Then there are others who watch the innovations closely to see its progress, before they try to build there own version.
The last group is where the problem lies. This group of racers doesn’t think it’s fair that you have something that they can’t buy at a speed shop. So they turn to the officials with their complaints about how this isn’t fair."
Since there are way more people in the last group, that's who gets listened to. When innovation is discouraged, nothing improves.

IMO, fewer people, fewer sponsors, fewer characters, less excitement, less innovation, and a smaller relationship with the car you drive on the street.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, ever. I hear folks complain about it, but that's a far cry from saying they want it to fail.
For example, I'm guilty of saying that the perfect Nascar race is when I watch the start and fall asleep on the couch, waking up when there's 15 or 20 laps to go. :)

I received a PM shortly after posting in this thread, and I'd like to quote part of it.
"There are some who are constantly thinking of ways to improve, this takes a lot of time, knowledge, effort, and some money. Racing was built by innovators.
Then there are others who watch the innovations closely to see its progress, before they try to build there own version.
The last group is where the problem lies. This group of racers doesn’t think it’s fair that you have something that they can’t buy at a speed shop. So they turn to the officials with their complaints about how this isn’t fair."
Since there are way more people in the last group, that's who gets listened to. When innovation is discouraged, nothing improves.

People dont have to come out and say it directly, their actions and snide remarks say it for them.

"Napcar"
"nascar died when dale died"
"i didnt even realize the race was on"
"who cares who won, id rather watch dirt latemodels"

The "good ole boys" or as these people like to call themselves NASCAR's "fan base" are dead or will be dead soon. You cant live in the 70-90's anymore. Dale Earnhardt died 22 years ago, and there is not a single person in cup today who ever raced against him. Times are changing, and people can either get on board, or they can get left behind while a new era of spectator is ushered in. Can't hardly blame NASCAR for evolving their business model to attract a new era of spectator.

I don't see how there are fewer people, sponsors, characters, excitement, innovation, or a relationship with a street car. Is it the same? No. Is it any less? Absolutely not. Virtually every car for every race is fully funded. Fights, fueds, and characters still exist, they just arent named Earnhardt, Rudd, or Waltrip.

These car's are the most like a production model Chevy, Ford, or Toyota then we have seen in 25 years......what's the last production street car that used truck arms and carburetors?

Yes innovation grew the sport, but racers are their own worst enemy. The advantage of innovation gave way to the advantage of money. All the teams themselves were pretty much begging NASCAR to save them from spending more money. Last year had 20 different winners in 36 races....that's alot more exciting to me as a fan then watching one team have a financial or technical advantage and dragging everyone every week.

That's not to say NASCAR doesn't have it's faults, because it certainly does. Big mistakes get made, and big gains still are to be had. At the end of the day, NASCAR is evolving to appeal to a larger, more diverse fan base and continue to thrive as a business.

:) Next will be spec motors, probably Ilmor's, because there are too many different builders.

Look, it's Nascar's deal, to do with it what they want, something they've made clear since they ran the Jr. Johnson's out of the sport.
I'll keep watching, because I've been watching since 1963, but no one's going to gaslight me into believing that it's more exciting than it used to be.

Give them unlimited restarts until some one crossed the finish line under green. Or until there is only 1 car left.
I don't know who or when the button was pushed , but it appeared that Stenhouse was not leading when the wreck happen and people were already letting off when they declared him the winner. or allow them to race back to the start finish line and finish under green/caution like they used to do. But ever since NASCAR went Woke, Well they pretty much killed Real racing. they heard about it on their radios before NASCAR declared a caution. First race I have watched in years. Or should I say the first time I watched the last 15 laps of a race..

:) Next will be spec motors, probably Ilmor's, because there are too many different builders.

Look, it's Nascar's deal, to do with it what they want, something they've made clear since they ran the Jr. Johnson's out of the sport.
I'll keep watching, because I've been watching since 1963, but no one's going to gaslight me into believing that it's more exciting than it used to be.
I think excitement and involvement go hand and hand and I don't see what NASCAR is lacking from that, or any Era? I think it as exciting, as you are involved.

Like the guy with the opinion above me......you haven't watched a race in how long, but know how it is right now and what needs changed. Nascar knows who won the race, it wasn't rigged, like I'm sure you think other things are. Anyway..

Give them unlimited restarts until some one crossed the finish line under green. Or until there is only 1 car left.
I don't know who or when the button was pushed , but it appeared that Stenhouse was not leading when the wreck happen and people were already letting off when they declared him the winner. or allow them to race back to the start finish line and finish under green/caution like they used to do. But ever since NASCAR went Woke, Well they pretty much killed Real racing. they heard about it on their radios before NASCAR declared a caution. First race I have watched in years. Or should I say the first time I watched the last 15 laps of a race..
I agree with you not the way it should end, BUT last night on Race Hub they showed it slow mo and there's no question Ricky was leading when the yellow light came on .

Explain how NASCAR went “woke”…..?

I will never understand why people want NASCAR to fail so badly. It is the #1 motorsports platform in the US. No one cares about sprint cars or latemodels, no matter how good the racing might be. NASCAR success = racing success.
Not that I would want Nascar to go under.. BUT YOU ARE WRONG when You think no one cares about Sprint cars and late models.... WAY more racing action at my local Dirt track than Nascar provides. Top tier of the sport maybe, best racing, definnatly not.. Heck Ill take a good 3 to 5K Dirt Late Model race over a Dirtsphalt Lucas Show most times too....

Not that I would want Nascar to go under.. BUT YOU ARE WRONG when You think no one cares about Sprint cars and late models.... WAY more racing action at my local Dirt track than Nascar provides. Top tier of the sport maybe, best racing, definnatly not.. Heck Ill take a good 3 to 5K Dirt Late Model race over a Dirtsphalt Lucas Show most times too....

From a general public and business model perspective….no one has a clue what sprint cars or latemodels are.

Back