Yamaha kt 100 reed valves?

Does any one have any information on a reed valve conversion kit for the kt100? I am sure it has been done, but i can not seem to find any info or pics. Thanks.

GEM made one some yrs. back, it used the square reed block from a MaC. I have one and tried it and I don't think it is as good as a good Laukaitis or Buller B.P. carb., also saw one run at Shelly's way back on alky , that one didn't impress me either. Best carbs I have for my KT's are Buller big bore spray ring alky carbs., they both work great.

I have wonderd how that project turned out. I would like to see more of it. I realy enjoy reading tectnical articals like these.

I have a 98mm iame rod for sale. if stroking for kt stock appearing, this rod will eliminate the spacer plate..

I have done a couple it is a very intensive deal, milling cylinder, milling special reed block, welding reed block to cylinder, drilling and tapping reed block, finishing interior of reed block, making reed block carb adaptor plate ( now can buy from Kermit ), and there is always changes.
Anyway, if you do something like this it should have IAME style reed cage anything else is a waste of time, their reed petals are the correcxt size many others are not.
Mike Berg
PS I have one KT cylinder fitted for this, I would sell it but it ain 't cheap.
$350 with reed cage and adaptor.
performance? about the same as a good 100cc rotary valve engine.
Thanks!

I have seen 2 types of reeded KT's. 1 style with reads as Mike Berg describes in his last post and 1 style where the reeds are hidden inside the cylinder like sundog shows in his pics. Are they comparable at all?

Brian #89

Some time back pictures of the reed set-up and case were posted here, should've saved them but didn't. Any interest in a set of cases for the KT that would accept an IAME reed block? Reason being that I'm thinking of building a KT with a TT-25 crank and rod assy., , and now with big bore pistons available again, I'm thinking the only remaining weak link would be the stock ign. How 'bout a pair of these with a set of Buller 360 alky carbs? on each?

Its hard to beleave that someone hasnt made a kit over the years that a kt has been around. Back a long time ago, i remenber a kit that you could get for a Bultaco. They were big piston port engines. Reed vaves really helped the low end thottle responce.

Its hard to beleave that someone hasnt made a kit over the years that a kt has been around. Back a long time ago, i remenber a kit that you could get for a Bultaco. They were big piston port engines. Reed vaves really helped the low end thottle responce.

Yup. We used to install quite a few of them on guys bikes that used to hillclimb bikes in the northeast. I decided to make a set for my H2 Kawasaki trip' 750. Bad azzzzzzzzzzz. :)

Jack I had the internal reed kt, I posted pics along time ago, I sold it or traded it to walt gifford, I believe he's the one building one on ekartingnews.. I may still have the pics.. i'll look for them..

The internal reed is good for stock appearing, but i would use a external reed if doing a open.. or just save the trouble and run dual kt's..

The internal reed is limited by the intake tract, and the small reeds.

I couldn't find pics of the internal, but I do have pics of the external reed using a yz125 cage.. email if you want pics, for some reason I can't post here..

Walt, thanks, BTW, I got a tool for those clips, called a "C-Cliper", from BUX tools, 129 locust st., P.O. box 173, Valley View, Pa., 17983 1-866-336-8665. Part #303. works good. cost me $49.00.

That's a neet tool Jack. Funny they show installing a clip with needle nose pliers which is very hard, with the duck bill poboy tool it's easy. Maybe someone will get me a C-cliper for Xmas.

Azrcr, I think you sent me a pic of the reeds, I never got a kit but the pic was enough thanks.

Back