Yamaha kt quest;

dlcentral

How involved and costly would it be to modify a kt to put out 30 hp And 2nd ques would it be worth it,,, or just go to a reed motor? thx,

I've got a badxss 100cc TT75 built by Elmer Patterson that is a bull. On our dyno at 5,500' it pulled 30hp. I don't think a KT could pull those numbers without nitro.

DK

I’ve heard of a kt bored to 125cc i beleive with external reeds? Bobby Baldwin had a mean set of twin Yamahas that rannnn, My monies on the tt75 though 👍

A bone stock 1990-1999 CR125 is rated at 31hp from the factory. Very easy to jackshaft, why not go that route?

Good reeds, good pipe, porting, that leaves a huge amount of room for future improvement. You can even take those as large as 144cc. For the price, hard to beat. Really any MX Two stroke of that era is going to be in the same HP range, all can easily be converted to a jackshaft. Starting at 30HP and you know it will be incredibly reliable.

I know if my good friend Chck (nobozos) would be still in this World he would give me a hard time since he loved KT100s, but a reed is a reed, and if you can modify a KT100 to put some extra power you can do the same thing with a reed, and last generation air cooled 100cc reeds from the late 90s/early 2000s were like 28hp stock on gas compared to the much lower power of a Yamaha, and nowadays you can buy a reed cheap, so no question what is better and cheaper unless you really love working on Yamahas. Sorry Chuck. Luckily you might not have internet forums in Heaven, lol.

I know if my good friend Chck (nobozos) would be still in this World he would give me a hard time since he loved KT100s, but a reed is a reed, and if you can modify a KT100 to put some extra power you can do the same thing with a reed, and last generation air cooled 100cc reeds from the late 90s/early 2000s were like 28hp stock on gas compared to the much lower power of a Yamaha, and nowadays you can buy a reed cheap, so no question what is better and cheaper unless you really love working on Yamahas. Sorry Chuck. Luckily you might not have internet forums in Heaven, lol.
what would be a good reed engine that won’t break the bank??

Bore out the KT and put a Leopard piston in it, and internal reed block... not easy or cheap, but if you're going to put lipstick on a pig, it might as well be Revlon... Pete at Superdyne may have done this already... Or Mike Cochrane.

What class are you planning to run this in, I think that determines a lot of your options.

Do you have stick with a traditional kart engine?

Is a jackshafted MX engine an option?

Price wise, for that HP range. A Sudam or a jackshafted MX engine will probably be the cheapest options.

Last edited:

I truly miss him.

what would be a good reed engine that won’t break the bank??
Any, but prefer those that were more common because even most share a lot of parts some don't. I would try to find a Parilla Reedjet, or a TSL 98 PCR for example. Something from late 90s/very early 2000s since they were the last ICAs built.

Back