Yellow Vega Question

If your not gonna buy cut tires just go with thins and scuff them that will help you build some heat in the tires. If your buying cuts you’ll probably get thick’s cut to tire guys specs. Either way works ... all in what you wanna pay for.

Low/no bite track, my preference is to use thick right sides and cut them thin to put a profile on the tire, and our Vega program has been rock solid for several years now.
2 ounces of Pink Panther in the rights, 1 ounce in the lefts. Take them down to duro you want the rest of the way with Monster Bite externally. If you don't need them any softer than 48-50d, then use our Black Bite 2.0 on the outsides and Monster just for a PRW.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

These are really punching 48/50 for you guys out of the wrapper? What temp are you punching at? Garage isn't a/c but i'm a good ways off that on a new set i bought

Got a thick set from dyno and punched 35-45 before I even hit them with the sander. Actually tried to order two thick sets but they sent me a set of thins. Thinking I will keep it and try them instead of sending them back

my thins duro’d at 48 and 50 outta the wrapper. With a 220 cross hatch a wipe of diamond and 2 oz of internal they hit 42. I need waaay harder tires for where I race.

Got a thick set from dyno and punched 35-45 before I even hit them with the sander. Actually tried to order two thick sets but they sent me a set of thins. Thinking I will keep it and try them instead of sending them back

45* I'll buy, but they should be nowhere near 35* out of the wrapper. Either they've had some prep on/in them, or they were checked hot.
You should always check duro at the same temperature for comparison reasons. It doesn't do much good to check one tire at 60*F, and another at 90*F. Colder tires check harder, warmer tires check softer.

The fresher the tires are when you get them into your hands from TS here in the states, the softer they will be as well. I've gotten them in at 45 before, but generally they punch 48-50 on our Intercomp and PTC durometers @72* room temperature.

45* I'll buy, but they should be nowhere near 35* out of the wrapper. Either they've had some prep on/in them, or they were checked hot.
You should always check duro at the same temperature for comparison reasons. It doesn't do much good to check one tire at 60*F, and another at 90*F. Colder tires check harder, warmer tires check softer.

The fresher the tires are when you get them into your hands from TS here in the states, the softer they will be as well. I've gotten them in at 45 before, but generally they punch 48-50 on our Intercomp and PTC durometers @72* room temperature.
It was a hot day so i'm going to say I was punching them at 80-85 or so. They weren't laying in the sun or anything. I have a longacre I remember you telling me it was off 5-7pts from the good ones.

Got a set of Vega blues... rolled inside rights with about 3oz venom internal....been sitting in the garage all summer about 62-65 on the duro right now...

So i saw a post on facebook they said should punch 100 on a piece of bare steel. Mine is showing 90. Ive never once dropped this thing not sure why its off.

Last edited:
So i saw a post on facebook they said should punch 100 on a piece of bare steel. Mine is showing 90. Ive never once dropped this thing not sure why its off.
Dont get caught up in that. Your durometer is yours and just another tool in the arsenal.
Take 2 or 3 different air gauges and theyre liable to read differently also. What you are doing is learning info for later by using tools from YOUR arsenal. Use a duro as a reference point.

I agree with Earl -- it's a comparison tool much like a dyno.
Comparisons of numbers can get you chasing your tail....
With the exception: Some tracks have a durometer rule - this is where it's important to know how your durometer measures against the track's.
Yes, you can "calibrate" your durometer with a piece of flat steel to read 100.

I guess I'm more concerned with accuracy of my air gauges than most.
My air gauges had better read what they should, or they're gone. Too many years of notes on air pressures & changes at the track to simply toss because my current air guage might not read the same as they did. We always have at least two air gauges with us at the track - One in the tool box, and one that we use regularly. They will both read exactly the same, or they are worthless because they provide misleading information. Can't have that. When your tire guy (Earl, myself, or someone else,) tells you that they want 5 psi in a tire, it had better be 5 psi, not 4 1/2 or 6.

If you are not cutting your tires , what track conditions would a thin be best, when would a thick be best?

I have the intercomp digital duro and it says to calibrate on a piece of glass I believe. Should read 100. Much more accurate than most all of my buddies with the longacre dial type.

Back