Yellow vega tires!Prep or no prep?

racerx59m

I was wondering on my yellow vega thicks I use donnie nall insanity prep!Yellow crush and black edge!The tires look great!I thought about one week not prepping them at all and just running them on a low to medium bite clay track!Has anyone done this before and how good was it?I have read on the vega site it says try it first without prep so I was wondering myself!Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Just prep them at the track only to fire them off!I have been running 6 psi lefts and 8 rights and been decent but last week move down to 5psi left and 7psi rights and they were better!Just trying to find a optimum psi

it will some. What insanity are you using? I know my black sand set of Vegas don’t jump back up in duro nearly as quick as one would think

OP,
Are you seeing excessive wear currently? That would easily determine for me if a tire is too soft.
With your right sides softer than the lefts, I am guessing you have some internal in them as well?
That's the first thing I'd work on is getting the duro to be the same lefts and rights (or at least much closer.)
6 & 8 is relatively high psi for tracks where Vegas excel. Not saying that won't work, but generally they work best on low/no bite tracks with low psi and those stiff sidewalls. I would "assume" that you are NOT locked down into the track if you dropped psi, so I'm wondering why you think you have over-prepped.

We roll all of our Vegas internally - but have two very different chemicals - one designed to help break down the sidewalls, and one that doesn't do much to the sidewalls at all. Of course amounts used internal make a big difference as well as cure time.

Now, you may need tires as soft as you have them currently, we don't know. Look a the wear, see if they are building heat or not, and remember that tracks change and your tires need to change with them.

If you're wanting to pull some prep out of the tires, you can wash them with Simple Green or other aggressive degreaser, or mix some alcohol in with your wash. Afterwards, refinish the tires and let them sit in the open air / sun.

Of course you can run any tire unprepped, but rarely is an unprepped tire going to be as good as a properly prepped tire.

We've got a pretty dog gone good Vega program. Not saying that there's anything wrong with Donnie's preps, I'm sure they work with Vegas too. If you have any questions, we'd be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Roll them internally with something mild, then wipe lightly with track tac black sand to start with, then go to black sand/acrysol 50/50 or even lighter if track starts to take on bite.... letting them sit and cure for like a week or so will help too...

OP,
Are you seeing excessive wear currently? That would easily determine for me if a tire is too soft.
With your right sides softer than the lefts, I am guessing you have some internal in them as well?
That's the first thing I'd work on is getting the duro to be the same lefts and rights (or at least much closer.)
6 & 8 is relatively high psi for tracks where Vegas excel. Not saying that won't work, but generally they work best on low/no bite tracks with low psi and those stiff sidewalls. I would "assume" that you are NOT locked down into the track if you dropped psi, so I'm wondering why you think you have over-prepped.

We roll all of our Vegas internally - but have two very different chemicals - one designed to help break down the sidewalls, and one that doesn't do much to the sidewalls at all. Of course amounts used internal make a big difference as well as cure time.

Now, you may need tires as soft as you have them currently, we don't know. Look a the wear, see if they are building heat or not, and remember that tracks change and your tires need to change with them.

If you're wanting to pull some prep out of the tires, you can wash them with Simple Green or other aggressive degreaser, or mix some alcohol in with your wash. Afterwards, refinish the tires and let them sit in the open air / sun.

Of course you can run any tire unprepped, but rarely is an unprepped tire going to be as good as a properly prepped tire.

We've got a pretty dog gone good Vega program. Not saying that there's anything wrong with Donnie's preps, I'm sure they work with Vegas too. If you have any questions, we'd be glad to help you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
No internal prep at all!I wipe 2 coats a night for monday through Thursday!Then race day I didn't wipe any on before my 2 heat races!I run clone light and medium with the same kart and in the light heat race I am so so!But then comes my medium heat and I can move the kart around better and usually get to the front!So it seems like the first heat I'm getting the prep off the tires and by my medium heat I'm fast!I then came back and washed the tires and put 2 coats of black edge on for the features!I use yellow crush during the week!

OP,

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
And No on the excessive wear at all!Tires look grainy!

No internal prep at all!I wipe 2 coats a night for monday through Thursday!Then race day I didn't wipe any on before my 2 heat races!I run clone light and medium with the same kart and in the light heat race I am so so!But then comes my medium heat and I can move the kart around better and usually get to the front!So it seems like the first heat I'm getting the prep off the tires and by my medium heat I'm fast!I then came back and washed the tires and put 2 coats of black edge on for the features!I use yellow crush during the week!
It may be more of the race track changing than the prep burning off. I'm curious what the prep guru's say

Just prep them at the track only to fire them off!I have been running 6 psi lefts and 8 rights and been decent but last week move down to 5psi left and 7psi rights and they were better!Just trying to find a optimum psi
Are you still on the scorpion chassis flat kart

^ Agreed.

Grainy tires are just fine, but if they're peeling/wearing hard, then you're too soft.
It doesn't sound like you are too soft on duro as much as just don't have the prep figured out.
You're going to have to get with Disco on his preps. He would know them better than any one of us.

Back