Yellow Vega

I just read over my posts again and I kinda worded that wonky now that I read it again. New fresh out of the wrapper and scuffed 220 I get 48-52. Now with 2oz rolled and a wipe or two of black sand here and there I’m low 40s. What I need them to be and what works for me is a mid 50 tire so I’m being careful with my prep usage to try and keep my new stuff from dropping too low. I race on a dust bowl.

I just read over my posts again and I kinda worded that wonky now that I read it again. New fresh out of the wrapper and scuffed 220 I get 48-52. Now with 2oz rolled and a wipe or two of black sand here and there I’m low 40s. What I need them to be and what works for me is a mid 50 tire so I’m being careful with my prep usage to try and keep my new stuff from dropping too low. I race on a dust bowl.

What internal are you using ? All your posts, your internal seems to drop a lot more than anything I have ever rolled.

I have the same problem with my yellow Vegas dropping and I just wipe pink magic on the outside with no internal. I need the internal though so they will refire after a caution but they would be way too soft then. I was wondering that too about his internal prep seemed to drop quite a bit for 2 oz.

We offer two different internals.
Pink Panther, which is used mainly on dirt to drop the duro, add oils, and add bite.
and Medium Rare, which is used on higher biting dirt tracks and pavement tracks. It drops duro very little, adds some oil to condition, and adds very little bite.
If you do not want to drop the duro, but still want the internal to pull through as the tire heat cycles, then Medium Rare is a good choice.
Two very different internals for two very different applications.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You must be using some very aggressive inside especially if only using 2 oz!!! Brains stuff On vegas works real good and is very simple. Pink panther internal and monster bite on the outside. Ive also had real good luck with palmetto on my vegas. You need to find a bite prep that barely drops the duro but adds a ton of bite.

You must be using some very aggressive inside especially if only using 2 oz!!! Brains stuff On vegas works real good and is very simple. Pink panther internal and monster bite on the outside. Ive also had real good luck with palmetto on my vegas. You need to find a bite prep that barely drops the duro but adds a ton of bite.
That bite prep that doesn't drop duro is called Black Bite 2.0 :)
More coats = more bite!

I use your monster bite as a prw so im probably not seeing much of a duro drop compared to letting it set in the tire.
Had a set that was around a 45-48, blasted a couple coats of his monster bite with a heat gun and ran them, checked them the next day and they were 40. After another race and some orange they are back up to 43-45 range. Brian do you feel like the softer the tire is when you hit it with monster bite the more it softens? Or It may of just been the difference between thick and thins now that i think about it

No difference in thicks and thins in rubber mix or how it absorbs the prep, just that thicks will obviously hold more prep in them. I haven't particularly seen it work differently in softer tires than harder ones. Now, with more synthetic blends, you have to use more (ie Maxxis, Hoosier FKs, A40s, Cobras, etc.) chemical than tires with more natural rubber content (ie Yellows, 10s, 20s, soft Burris.)
It is absolutely necessary for the Monster Bite to dry into the tire to drop the duro. If you are using it only as a PRW, it will not soften the tire at all....just be sure that it's still wet on the grid. Once it dries into the tire, it starts dropping the duro (2- 3 points per wipe.)
Also...be careful not to use heavy wipes. The prep will just lay on the surface and not get down into the tire. I'd rather that folks don't cut our preps with acrysol and the likes, just use the prep full strength, but use a lighter coat and it will work better.
Heat gun or hot box can be used in a pinch (same day drop on duro) but again, not the recommended way to apply the prep to drop duro...it works best applied early in the week (Mon-Wed.)
Depending on the heat generated and the wear on the tire...Monster Bite will come back out of a tire over time, but in general, the tire stays softer and stays longer than with most preps.

No difference in thicks and thins in rubber mix or how it absorbs the prep, just that thicks will obviously hold more prep in them. I haven't particularly seen it work differently in softer tires than harder ones. Now, with more synthetic blends, you have to use more (ie Maxxis, Hoosier FKs, A40s, Cobras, etc.) chemical than tires with more natural rubber content (ie Yellows, 10s, 20s, soft Burris.)
It is absolutely necessary for the Monster Bite to dry into the tire to drop the duro. If you are using it only as a PRW, it will not soften the tire at all....just be sure that it's still wet on the grid. Once it dries into the tire, it starts dropping the duro (2- 3 points per wipe.)
Also...be careful not to use heavy wipes. The prep will just lay on the surface and not get down into the tire. I'd rather that folks don't cut our preps with acrysol and the likes, just use the prep full strength, but use a lighter coat and it will work better.
Heat gun or hot box can be used in a pinch (same day drop on duro) but again, not the recommended way to apply the prep to drop duro...it works best applied early in the week (Mon-Wed.)
Depending on the heat generated and the wear on the tire...Monster Bite will come back out of a tire over time, but in general, the tire stays softer and stays longer than with most preps.
When i say PRW its dry 90% of the time. If its not dry its because of the moisture content in the air/temp and i couldn't get it dry in time. I havent messed with going out with wet tires. I had a couple wipes in and i'm gonna say maybe the last one didnt completely dry before we rolled up to line up. I felt like we needed to be softer and i didnt have any others. I'm seeing more now why guys have multiple sets. When you are at the same track all the time and they do the same thing week to week you get complacent. I've got to start watching the track better and paying attention to what spot we are in the running order.

When we have to wipe at the track and moisture in the air we wash the tires and try to dry extremely well. I then VERY lightly torch the tires to remove residual moisture from the tires pores and immediately wipe. The key is to remove the water and not heat up the tires.

Back