Yellow Vegas vs Prepped Yellow Vegas

I’ve never run fresh Yellow Vegas with zero prep in them. My experience has always been in cool nights with a damp track. Tires prepped through the week. We did well with them. But…What are the conditions where a fresh new yellow vega out performs and prepped up Yellow Vega?

What about a Vega with internal only vs a Vega with internal plus external through out the week.

I’ve got four new sets. I’m trying to make them slightly different.

Never wiped and punching 39. 90 on the internal.

There is NO situation I wouldn't prep a Vega internally for Dirt. Like Brian said, we even ran a minimum of 30cc in our Asphalt Vega, but it could be a very mild internal.

This tends to be how I choose which tire we run, as we can run anything we want.
56-50 Maxxis Pinks on decent to good bite tracks
Burris if the track just doesn't have much bite, whether it's hard or not.
Vega Yellow, anything below 48, whether it's hard or not.
Blue Vega can sometimes work in the conditions of a Maxxis, but whether they're as fast depends on a lot of things.

A lot of people have asked me if you run a Vega yellow on asphalt why it wouldn't be as fast as a Maxxis on a hard south east track, and I suspect there is a different phenomenon going on with asphalt. Mainly HEAT. But, I can't completely answer the question. But, I know even a 52ish Yellow Vega on a Maxxis track will absolutely not work. Again, a BLUE Vega might work. But, you're going to absolutely have to nail the prep to be fast. I've done it with the old blues. I haven't tried the new blue.

A lot of people have asked me if you run a Vega yellow on asphalt why it wouldn't be as fast as a Maxxis on a hard south east track, and I suspect there is a different phenomenon going on with asphalt. Mainly HEAT. But, I can't completely answer the question. But, I know even a 52ish Yellow Vega on a Maxxis track will absolutely not work. Again, a BLUE Vega might work. But, you're going to absolutely have to nail the prep to be fast. I've done it with the old blues. I haven't tried the new blue.
This is exactly one reason I’m asking all these questions. I don’t understand how a soft yellow Vega can work on asphalt but not hard dirt. The only thing I can come up with is that it picks up too much dirt and it sticks to the tires. It can’t be heat because there’s less heat on dirt.

It seems to me a Yellow Vega would be a good tire for qualifying. How does it do compared to Maxxis Pinks?

I have some White Maxxis that I’m going to be trying also. My new Vegas are punching around 40. My new White Maxxis are at 50.

Consider that a Vega Yellow has natural gum rubber oils in it. Maxxis does not -- it is completely synthetic (ie petro plastic.)
Of course they don't work the same on the same track surfaces. You don't prep them the same either.
Vega Yellows make an excellent qualifying tire because they are generally very fast for the first 4-5 laps, then slow down.
Vega Blues won't even work until you get them warm, then they LIKE abused and heated for long runs.
To make Maxxis Pinks work in the midwest requires a lot of internal and aggressive outside wipes. Even then, they are best suited for tracks that bite up some and take a 50+d tire.
I don't personally have enough experience to say much on the Maxxis Whites other than I think they are a much better fit for our low bite tracks in the midwest without killing them with prep (like Pinks.)

Here's the way I am thinking:

No bite = Yellows
Low bite = Whites
Medium bite = Pinks
High bite = Blues

Of course this is just a generalization -- there will be instances where a particular tire will be fast than another based on sidewall, track surface abrasiveness, and of course how the tires are worked.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Consider that a Vega Yellow has natural gum rubber oils in it. Maxxis does not -- it is completely synthetic (ie petro plastic.)
Of course they don't work the same on the same track surfaces. You don't prep them the same either.
Vega Yellows make an excellent qualifying tire because they are generally very fast for the first 4-5 laps, then slow down.
Vega Blues won't even work until you get them warm, then they LIKE abused and heated for long runs.
To make Maxxis Pinks work in the midwest requires a lot of internal and aggressive outside wipes. Even then, they are best suited for tracks that bite up some and take a 50+d tire.
I don't personally have enough experience to say much on the Maxxis Whites other than I think they are a much better fit for our low bite tracks in the midwest without killing them with prep (like Pinks.)

Here's the way I am thinking:

No bite = Yellows
Low bite = Whites
Medium bite = Pinks
High bite = Blues

Of course this is just a generalization -- there will be instances where a particular tire will be fast than another based on sidewall, track surface abrasiveness, and of course how the tires are worked.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Do you think the Whites need to be prepped similarly to the Vegas? What prep would you recommend? We ran some fresh ones last week with nothing in them.

Planning to Qualify on Yellows and run the feature on whites this week @J&M.

Do you think the Whites need to be prepped similarly to the Vegas? What prep would you recommend? We ran some fresh ones last week with nothing in them.

Planning to Qualify on Yellows and run the feature on whites this week @J&M.
I'd tend to be a bit more aggressive on the Maxxis than Vegas. I suspect the same will be true with the Whites. The reason for this is that the Yellows have natural gum rubber oils in them and simply require less chemical to get them to bite up.
For the Whites, I'd start out with 2 ounces of our Pink Panther in the right sides and 1 ounce in the left and work from there. That's always my baseline, then make small adjustments as you learn more about the tire and what's working at that specific track. You can always work the outside more aggressively (or less) if needed to get you where you need to be.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Back