Yet another gearing question.

BBRacing

So I have been reading a lot about gearing on this forum and have come to the conclusion that people at the track we normally race may all be robbing themselves of lap times including my kids' karts. We have an unrestricted clone cage kart(320 lbs) and a red plate clone cage kart(270 lbs). We recently switched the front driver up to a 12 from an 11 and and shaved .3 off lap times (9.6 sceonds) while dropping from 6900 to 6600 rpms on the unrestricted clone. This has me thinking that there is a lot more to be had. The track is advertised as an 1/8 mile but I dont think its that long. (i could be wrong) We have been running 11 front drivers because that is what basically everyone I have asked is running. The Jr1 kart we have doesn't have a mychron so I dont know rpms yet but if the unrestricted is at 12/68 what should I shoot for as a starting point for the red plate?

So I have been reading a lot about gearing on this forum and have come to the conclusion that people at the track we normally race may all be robbing themselves of lap times including my kids' karts. We have an unrestricted clone cage kart(320 lbs) and a red plate clone cage kart(270 lbs). We recently switched the front driver up to a 12 from an 11 and and shaved .3 off lap times (9.6 sceonds) while dropping from 6900 to 6600 rpms on the unrestricted clone. This has me thinking that there is a lot more to be had. The track is advertised as an 1/8 mile but I dont think its that long. (i could be wrong) We have been running 11 front drivers because that is what basically everyone I have asked is running. The Jr1 kart we have doesn't have a mychron so I dont know rpms yet but if the unrestricted is at 12/68 what should I shoot for as a starting point for the red plate?
When you switched front driver to 12 what did you do with rear gear ?

Don't Matter if it's our clone or flathead, if we go out and turn it 7100 rpm, come in and pull 2 teeth go right back out turn 6900 rpm lap times will always be better at 6900 rpm.

I tho't everyone would see the sarcasm in my comment.
unpossible, a smiley face.
How many times does Bob's get comments/questions about
not turning enough RPM's with no regard to lap times ?
I've commented on one post about it in the last week.

I tho't everyone would see the sarcasm in my comment.
unpossible, a smiley face.
How many times does Bob's get comments/questions about
not turning enough RPM's with no regard to lap times ?
I've commented on one post about it in the last week.
Not everyone, I got it .

Verdict is in. She ran faster with the lower ratio. I will do testing with a mychron next time so I give better information. I really appreciate the inputs. She got her first podium with a third place finish last night.

Verdict is in. She ran faster with the lower ratio. I will do testing with a mychron next time so I give better information. I really appreciate the inputs. She got her first podium with a third place finish last night.
What driver and rear gear .
Not everyone has the same
Definition of lower or higher gear .
Congratulations on the podium finish .

That sounds better because on an 1/8 mile you would have been gear bound big time
OK. I talked to the track owner and the track is 1/9th mile. Would I benefit from going up on the front driver for our unrestricted 320lb and green plate clone karts 265lb (i said red before but its green plate). Last race we were 12/67 on both karts and were faster than the 11/64-66 we usually run. The unrestricted was turning 6600 with 1000 or so drop. The green plate was unknown but faster. The searches that i have done on here show green plates running lower ratios since they turn less RPMs?? so I my thought was trying go to a 13 or even 14 tooth on the green plate. Note**** I will put the mychron on the green plate this week as well.

Back