Yet another gearing question.

Great advice so far. Ill add that you need to think of the plate motors just like a Nascar daytona race. Wide open throttle all the time. The gearing should allow this for the most part, sometimes its not possible but most of the time it is. I ran our red and green plate motors maxed at 5900 to 6200 rpm. That was it. We are running a purple now and max it at 6400-6500, wide open.

A tip for teaching a young driver wide open throttle is to gear bind the motor. Basically making the driver hold the throttle down to make speed, then take a couple teeth out of the gear every run until the rpms drop and lap times pickup. That should be right in the zone, but you can play some more and find more speed.

Our unrestricted clones are at 6700-6800 max.

OK. I talked to the track owner and the track is 1/9th mile. Would I benefit from going up on the front driver for our unrestricted 320lb and green plate clone karts 265lb (i said red before but its green plate). Last race we were 12/67 on both karts and were faster than the 11/64-66 we usually run. The unrestricted was turning 6600 with 1000 or so drop. The green plate was unknown but faster. The searches that i have done on here show green plates running lower ratios since they turn less RPMs?? so I my thought was trying go to a 13 or even 14 tooth on the green plate. Note**** I will put the mychron on the green plate this week as well.
Your still off on gearing with a 12/67 a 13/60 should be much closer for green plate with a 1000 rpm drop, lucky 7 is giving you good info.

Also, the larger clutch gear allows the restricted motors to turn easier. That's why it helps with overall speed, but, it can take longer to get to speed, which is why you keep it WOT. Momentum is the game.
Thank you for all of the help I will report back after saturdays race.
Your still off on gearing with a 12/67 a 13/60 should be much closer for green plate with a 1000 rpm drop, lucky 7 is giving you good info.
Thank you. I will try it out saturday and report back.

Back