Young kids at the track

Mooregb86

Hi all,
Brand new to karting, gonna be starting my 7y.o. in a Jr Stars Champ next season. I also have a 3y.o. (4 by the start of the season) that will be with us. I have an enclosed 16' trailer and a large SUV as our race rig.
Any single parents out there with advice or tips about keeping the young one safe/out of trouble while I'm focused on the older one racing? Racedays can be long, grueling, and fast-paced. I'm worried that the youngest will become a handful or a liability. Definitely don't want to leave him in the back of an SUV or in the trailer to nap if Temps are too hot/cold, and being too far out of sight is just irresponsible nowadays.
Curious if anyone has dealt with this sort of dilemma successfully.

Make some friends at the track especially if they have children around the same age. Then park next to them that way you can focus on the kart when need be and they will be entertained

I'm facing the same dilemma, except with a 9 and 6 yr. old. Yet another reason why 12 hr. racedays are absurd. I hope to lean on the grandparents some for babysitting duties, and do my racing on Friday or Saturday nights. If my oldest is interested, maybe I can do saturday daytime racing (there's no good reason to have a pre-teen up later than 9pm, IMO.) If I can't find a track that offers the conditions I need, I'll make a backyard track and invite my friends to go racing.

I'm facing the same dilemma, except with a 9 and 6 yr. old. Yet another reason why 12 hr. racedays are absurd. I hope to lean on the grandparents some for babysitting duties, and do my racing on Friday or Saturday nights. If my oldest is interested, maybe I can do saturday daytime racing (there's no good reason to have a pre-teen up later than 9pm, IMO.) If I can't find a track that offers the conditions I need, I'll make a backyard track and invite my friends to go racing.
Better start laying it out and lining up equipment to start digging lol

Honestly ; There is no way you can leave a 4 year old unattended in the pit area .
The only option is take them too the grid and even that may not be allowed .

Also, young kids can't reliably discern what's dangerous and what's not... I plan to leave mine at home unless I can guarantee their total supervision.

Guess I'm lucky lol. The first couple times to the track he was with me the whole time. Last time I went this year we walked around together and he kept telling me how much he wanted to watch. Stands are visible from the trailer so I said go ahead. He made friends and everytime I went out I'd walk him to the stands and he'd stay up there the entire time. It helps that our local track has a very kid friendly atmosphere. It also helps that I've been there going on ten plus years and majority of people know who I am. I had other parents who would talk to him in the stands ask me how he is so polite and listens so well. Btw my son's 4.

bring lots of toys. my grandson is 5 started racing in july most of the time it me and him, when i am on the track he watches the race, in between races is the hard part if there is a mud puddle they will find it. and when it is time for him to race he might be lost. kids will find freinds, Joe is the life of the party he brings boxs of cars and trucks. when we pull up all the kids come to play with his toys. i was unloading the karts and one boy told me i had to move they where racing the cars down the ramp. bring a change of clothes or your seats will be full of mud.

Back