Your cable ISP throttling your internet

paulkish

old fart
In our general area we have two main cable companies Armstrong and Comcast.

Comcast advertises unlimited internet at any price same as before the government to the gloves off internet providers.

Were stuck with Armstrong who charges for different speeds and put limitations on it with pay if you go over.
They took full advantage of everything the government let them do to get any additional payment they could.

I have a netgear nighthawlk router and have had it for years.

I had previously set my router up for its built in free VPN but never used it.
Today I turned on both home and internet VPN via a click of a radial button.
Feels like my internet speed doubled. ... :)

I've heard if you use a VPN your internet will slow and I stayed away from Norton etc and even trying my routers VPN.

... but so far today it seems to be ok and my internet speed has gone up.
We also have internet TV not provided by Armstrong anymore and when I tried it it worked just fine.

If you have a netgear nighthawlk router i'm suggesting to try turning on both home and internet free VPN.
You'll have to down load some files from netgear to do it but it ain't that hard and even I could do it. ... :)

Everyone should have a VPN. It’s so good that the feds want it to be illegal. Keeps your IP, personal info etc safe as well. What I see often is people still using garbage browsers like AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Internet Explorer and a mess of others. If you want ultimate speed and privacy, a VPN with google or Firefox is the only way to go.

If I could do it that would be the real test .
Your peaking my interest though .
Your tv and wifi set up - no way i could manage all that .
Nor would i try .

If I could do it that would be the real test .
Your peaking my interest though .
Your tv and wifi set up - no way i could manage all that .
Nor would i try .

LOL, I'm already running two additional routers off my main router and thinking of adding another for the UV lights. ... :)
A regular 2.4gh wifi only handles a max of 32 things. I got a few more then that. ... :)

My test to see how my own personal router is doing is to come into it via cellular.
I have wifi also on the Modem/router Armstrong provides but it ain't worth junk in it's range compared to my netgear router.
I can be right next to it and not get full bars of coverage.

I up to 20 wifi light bulb Sonoff sockets with more to go.
And the light bulb sockets are for non wifi bulbs and I got at least as many Cree and other wifi bulbs.
Then's there's other stuff like switches, outlets, motion sensors, sirens and more. ... :)

so far today, the internet speed is still picked up well since turning on the routers VPN

Last edited:
Back