Your oil!

It also depends a lot on what base stock oil you are using.
PAG based oils (compressor oils commonly used in karting) are hygroscopic -- ie they draw moisture. This includes moisture from the air, and from methanol (a water soluble fuel.)

Anyone that has ever run a limited flathead with a Tilly is well aware of oil contamination from fuel. It's the #1 reason the oil is changed so often. This is not a new concept.

Also, while on the topic of oil base stocks, keep in mind that different base oils do not mix and can cause catastrophic failure. PAO & PAG oils will basically repel each other and separate very quickly in a glass jar. When they do the same inside your engine, bad things will happen.

My motors are drained at the track while the engine is hot, valves closed on the compression stroke, carburetors flushed. As stated in a previous post methanol boils at 151 degrees. you do realize that's only 52.4 degrees hotter than the human body right? And the claim is there will be massive amounts of alcohol in hot oil in a running engine or oil that has been drained from a hot engine. I take it you have never had rubbing alcohol quickly evaporate on your warm skin. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree, especially how to maintain a racing engine.

My motors are drained at the track while the engine is hot, valves closed on the compression stroke, carburetors flushed. As stated in a previous post methanol boils at 151 degrees. you do realize that's only 52.4 degrees hotter than the human body right? And the claim is there will be massive amounts of alcohol in hot oil in a running engine or oil that has been drained from a hot engine. I take it you have never had rubbing alcohol quickly evaporate on your warm skin. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree, especially how to maintain a racing engine.
We all know how to close up a motor. Your oil does not stay 151 degrees while sitting in your "dry" garage does it? Do you understand the concept of condensation? Ahh nevermind. If you don't know by now I doubt you ever will. Good day sir.

It also depends a lot on what base stock oil you are using.
PAG based oils (compressor oils commonly used in karting) are hygroscopic -- ie they draw moisture. This includes moisture from the air, and from methanol (a water soluble fuel.)

Anyone that has ever run a limited flathead with a Tilly is well aware of oil contamination from fuel. It's the #1 reason the oil is changed so often. This is not a new concept.

Also, while on the topic of oil base stocks, keep in mind that different base oils do not mix and can cause catastrophic failure. PAO & PAG oils will basically repel each other and separate very quickly in a glass jar. When they do the same inside your engine, bad things will happen.
That's why I was thinking about keeping the used oil separated by brands. Should be fairly simple as long as where I get it from keeps it honest.

We all know how to close up a motor. Your oil does not stay 151 degrees while sitting in your "dry" garage does it? Do you understand the concept of condensation? Ahh nevermind. If you don't know by now I doubt you ever will. Good day sir.
there is no oil in my motor when it's put away how does an empty crankcase absorb moisture?

IMG_5167.jpeg

been sitting in my "dry" Garage sense 1998 spent 15 years in a salty sea side Long Island town detached un insulated garage

I know the outside is sad. I just opened her up about 6 months ago its not pitted or rusted out at all only oil I ran in the ol girl was the FHS red modified oil. never noticed methanol in the oil ever.

Looks like one of those old Burris rods. I've got a few of those laying around.
FHS red modified oil. never noticed methanol in the oil ever
62R is good oil, 'specially for a modified.
If you consistently drained the oil hot and changed frequently, I'm not surprised the internals look so good.
Sounds like you used a solid maintenance program.

this engine has been sitting in a box with no oil in it for nearly 23 years with three vent holes to atmosphere in the crankcase. original poster seems to think my empty cases will absorb moisture into oil that's not in my motor. If I remember my optical thermometer this weekend I will see what temp these motors are and will gladly pour an oz of methanol into my hot oil to see if i can keep it in there.

Last edited:
this engine has been sitting in a box with no oil in it for nearly 23 years with three vent holes to atmosphere in the crankcase. original poster seems to think my empty cases will absorb moisture into oil that's not in my motor. If I remember my optical thermometer this weekend I will see what temp these motors are and will gladly pour an oz of methanol into my hot oil to see if i can keep it in there.
Na we weren't talking about an empty crankcase. That's obsurd. We were talking about condensation collecting in vented oil regardless if it's in a crankcase or not, as well as methanol filling the crankcase with out without oil I recon. But since this is a thread about oil??? Of course it won't collect moisture if it isn't there. Wow now I am certain my IQ is dropping with each reply. Lol. I guess Brian and a few others missed that part too. Smooth move exlax. 😆

So this may not be a true representation of condensation .
But this jugs been in the same spot for at least a month .
In a closed unheated garage .
Empty nothing in it till .yesterday wheh i took this photo .

Attachments

• 20211026_152205.jpg
    20211026_152205.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back