Z-bar and Y-bar

PiMotive

Can anyone explain how these different rear seat bar configurations affect handling? I have noticed that most all of the newer chassis have migrated to the Y-bar. I presume that it helps to soften the left rear corner, which maintains a sustained load on the LR tire, especially when running high cross. Is this the only reason for the design change? If so, what is the advantage?

As I understand it, the farther the seat bar moves away from the LR, the more free the kart will be. It helps with flex and weight transfer.

My thoughts on the "modern day" chassis.they have a shorter,stiffer and stronger front end."not as loopy as older style front ends".the left side and right side pipes down the chassis are cut up sometimes into 3-4 shorter pieces instead of 1 long piece.and there not as radical with the bends or rolls.that means more welding.1 weld makes those 2 pipes 3x as strong.then you put crazy amounts of crossweight,camber,and tire prep.so you have to get the weight off the left rear or it would never turn,be locked down always tight and just plain slow.a good example of this would be the phantom gauntlet.saying all that you can make anything fast on dirt if your dedicated enough.thats why the pipe is moved up.this is just my opinion and i have no idea if its right or wrong.

Back