+0.02" Rod w/ 0.01" Head Gasket Question

SquidBonez

I plan on doing a +0.02" billet rod and a thinner than stock 0.01" head gasket on a Predator 212 hemi. I want to get some stock length chromoly pushrods as well (since I'm pretty sure the thinner head gasket doesn't make enough of a difference to need different length pushrods) but will I have any valve clearance issues with a longer rod paired with a thinner head gasket? Don't want to put it all together and have the piston hit a valve. Will be using stock valves/head for reference. This engine will be for a backyard race kart for fun with friends, nothing competitive.

You should be good . As long as the piston top is still down in the hole , you will not have any issue . I put +10 in clones with no problem .

I plan on doing a +0.02" billet rod and a thinner than stock 0.01" head gasket on a Predator 212 hemi. I want to get some stock length chromoly pushrods as well (since I'm pretty sure the thinner head gasket doesn't make enough of a difference to need different length pushrods) but will I have any valve clearance issues with a longer rod paired with a thinner head gasket? Don't want to put it all together and have the piston hit a valve. Will be using stock valves/head for reference. This engine will be for a backyard race kart for fun with friends, nothing competitive.
You've not had the head or deck of the block milled at all, and no bigger cam or ratio rockers either?
No problem fitting this in then...you'll be just fine on valve/piston clearance.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

You've not had the head or deck of the block milled at all, and no bigger cam or ratio rockers either?
No problem fitting this in then...you'll be just fine on valve/piston clearance.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
No milling, all just bolt on parts. Stock rockers. I'll be using a MOD2 cam though, but that's a stock lift cam.

Do you know what deck height is? Measured the deck height before you put in the longer rod. What is it? If it's less than .020", let's say .010", that means the piston is going to extend past the top of the block .010". I think you need a minimum of .030" piston to head clearance. With the longer rod, what clearance will you have between the piston and the head?

Sticking a piece of solder in the spark plug hole and turning the engine over will tell you how much clearance you have. Be sure to put it in so it's aligned with the crankshaft. If not, piston rock can give you a false reading.

Back