1/5 Mile Dirt Champ Kart Newbie Setup

A full containment seat is an absolute nightmare in a champ kart. It kills your VCG by being mounted so high, and its extremely rigid in an already rigid frame car.
I'm a newbie so whats VCG? lol. I do want to add that the seat is mounted using the conventional mounting struts from Rage with the big rubber grommets. Probably still rigid though. We used the containment seat because when she was running 60 plus MPH on the 1/3 mile track I wanted her safe. But since we stick to 1/5 mile or smaller 99% of the time I can absolutely find something different. Cuuld yoiu recommend a decent seat for a youth thats still gonna keep her nice and snug?

VCG = Vertical Center of Gravity. The extra weight (up high) transfers (dumps) weight onto the right side in the corner rather than slowly transferring weight from a lower placed seat/driver at corner entry. I would agree that the seat isn't helping you (other than making you feel more comfortable about her safety.) Mounting an upright seat rigid makes things even worse. Hopefully you mounted it so it is not solid and restricts the kart from flexing. Your nose weight is also low because of the seat.

Aside from that, it would appear that you have the RF & LR tires mixed up. The two widest tires should be on the right sides, the two narrow tires on the left sides.
Typical Hoosier big treads would be 11.5X-8-6 RR & RF, 11X6.50-6 LR, and 11X5.5-6 LF. I prefer to run smaller tires yet (especially when we're dealing with limited HP) and the rules allow it. Being that you have a 12X9 tire on the right rear is a stupidly ridiculously huge size for a kart - it is intended for the 250 & 500cc winged outlaw karts. If you are forced to use that size (per rules) then we'll need to work around that, but FOR SURE you don't need that big left rear on the kart. We also cut treads to work better with champs.
650D30A.jpg

If there is anything we can do to help, please feel free to reach out to me here, through our Facebook page, email, or call the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm a newbie so whats VCG? lol. I do want to add that the seat is mounted using the conventional mounting struts from Rage with the big rubber grommets. Probably still rigid though. We used the containment seat because when she was running 60 plus MPH on the 1/3 mile track I wanted her safe. But since we stick to 1/5 mile or smaller 99% of the time I can absolutely find something different. Cuuld yoiu recommend a decent seat for a youth thats still gonna keep her nice and snug?
Depending upon her size there are many lay down seat manufacturers. To name a few chavous, select, lightning light. It all depends upon her size on which seat would fit her the best. My son is 5' 4" 105 lbs and he prefers a medium lightning light seat( we have a cushion set that velcros to the seat to make it a little tighter)

Depending upon her size there are many lay down seat manufacturers. To name a few chavous, select, lightning light. It all depends upon her size on which seat would fit her the best. My son is 5' 4" 105 lbs and he prefers a medium lightning light seat( we have a cushion set that velcros to the seat to make it a little tighter)
My daughter is 5'2" and the same weight. Is your sons seat a lay down seat? Sounds like medium might be the right size for her.

Is that a youth medium or adult medium?

Is that a youth medium or adult medium?
We run adult medium seat. In fact we just mounted his seat over the winter. The youth large seat was too tight at the hips. He could get in it but it was uncomfortable and he would need the jaws of life to get him out. Lol

We run adult medium seat. In fact we just mounted his seat over the winter. The youth large seat was too tight at the hips. He could get in it but it was uncomfortable and he would need the jaws of life to get him out.
Do you have a ton of padding in there or does lightning light run small? We run at medium chavous at 5'10" 180lbs.

Back