13 vs 14

trey johnson

What all does the 13 and 14 change between the 2 sprockets as far as take off and corners... Racing mainly small track like 10th mile tracks and the max rpm I'll prolly turn is 7k I'll prolly try to stay under it and the motor is a 420 predator that's in the process of being built just a pretty mild build nothing to wild

13/65 = 5.0
14/65 = 4.64
14/70 = 5.0
The argument, 13 driver or 14 driver, with the same ratio, has gone on for years. I doubt if it will ever be agreed up on by everyone. In your post, it was not mentioned if the rear axle sprocket was going to be changed. As you can see from my numbers, if you change from a 13 to a 14, and want the same ratio, you would have to add 5 teeth to the axle. 13/65 is described as a lower ratio than 14/65. For comparison, think of 13/65 as 1st gear in your car while 14/65 could be described as 4th gear. It's a big change, relatively speaking.

The 13 will pull harder out of the hole, the 14 will pull harder towards the end of the straight away. I'm assuming you figure out the proper rear gear to match the same ratio.

If you just want to be in the ball park, put a 60-64 on the rear and figure out which driver you need to get your 7000 rpms

I know it's been a war but I know and have seen the difference in a race but I haven't done any testing with a big block motor with this amount of torque I know between the two at the same ratio there will be a difference on off corner pull and take off I just don't know which would be better with a high torque motor

on that big motor at ten mile I think the 13 would work good and go small on the rear gear to keep from spinning too much

The 13 tooth norman drum does fine but now I'm doing a mild build its time to get a disc clutch for better lock up only problem is now the stealth clutch only goes down to a 14t driver.. I'm hoping it doesn't lug the motor down off the starts and off a turn it shouldn't but I don't know

The 13 tooth norman drum does fine but now I'm doing a mild build its time to get a disc clutch for better lock up only problem is now the stealth clutch only goes down to a 14t driver.. I'm hoping it doesn't lug the motor down off the starts and off a turn it shouldn't but I don't know
It's impossible to say with a certainty whether the same gear ratio will be any different, 13/60 or 14/65, there might be some very slight difference, but in any case, there is no determining the difference. If there is any difference, it's a very very slight difference, one that only the most experienced drivers will notice. You're not going to bog off the corners in any case.

Back