17 recon help

Rookie driver to karting, just bought to drive when my son is racing at our local track. Karts a 17 recon w/box stock predator, with a 6’1” 250lb driver. Track is almost 1/8th tight turned real low bite. Kart will not turn at all on entry turn the wheel it wants to go straight have to turn with the brakes then push’s the rest of the turn. I feel like if I can get it to rotate in on entry I could fix the rest of the turn.
Caster plates Lf front hole Rf rear hole
Camber lf.25 Rf 2.75
Caster lf 9 rf 12
Front-46%
Left- I’ve tried 58-63%
Cross- I’ve tried 58-65%
Seat is at bottom of rails an10” off axle
Burris 33 rule

Should be around 45.5% nose, 60.5-61.0% left, 61.0% cross, +0.25 LF & -2.75 RF camber, 8 & 12 caster, RF toed out 1/16".

It will turn with that set up. If it doesn't, it's probably because of a tire issue (bite, air pressure, stagger, etc).

Last edited:
Stagger is 1 1/2” front and rear, Ive tried 3-4lb and 5-6lb. What would you recommend for starting air pressures. Should I run a 1lb split or even on both sides

I always see everyone saying that the air pressure is to low and i believe it is to. But the fast clone guys in my area are running 2-3lb on 33s and run well on the National level. Even on big high bite tracks there just going up to 4-5 lbs. are they into something or leaving a lot of speed on the table

Last edited:
I always see everyone saying that the air pressure is to low and i believe it is to. But the fast clone guys in my area are running 2-3lb on 33s and run well on the National level
Track is moist slick sealed over. ? Even so we have an 1/8 mile track here that Sr clone was low air on 11's but predator class on 33 tire rule was 8lb range, some nights higher.

I’ve been running 17 33a’s punching 54 wiped with btgp to soften then 9 coats of black sand, and using fts black bite as a prw. Also tried my sons tires he wins with in stock predator. Older set of 33a’s punching 40 wiped with btgp and using fts black bite as a prw. All are round cut with no internal

I’ve been running 17 33a’s punching 54 wiped with btgp to soften then 9 coats of black sand, and using fts black bite as a prw. Also tried my sons tires he wins with in stock predator. Older set of 33a’s punching 40 wiped with btgp and using fts black bite as a prw. All are round cut with no internal
Confirming details your running stock predator ? You say your sons tires he wins on in stock predator, same class and
Weight ? Or different class and weight ?
Kart handled the same for you on both sets of tires. ? No turn on entry. ?

Son runs kids 265lb, I’m at 417lb in an adult 350lb class I fixed my tires more along the lines of what I know adult heavy clones are running. Basically same result with both sets that’s why I was leaning more towards chassis. Chassis is a known kart with a lot of wins and was winning the week I bought it, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the chassis it’s self.

Son runs kids 265lb, I’m at 417lb in an adult 350lb class I fixed my tires more along the lines of what I know adult heavy clones are running. Basically same result with both sets that’s why I was leaning more towards chassis. Chassis is a known kart with a lot of wins and was winning the week I bought it, so I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the chassis it’s self.
I'd say you just solved most of your own issue, BIG difference in 33s for stock predator weighing in at over 400 lb VS Sr Clone heavy, I'd say most of your issue is your over prepped & to low air, second most not enough seat time, then the chassis I would definitely change your set up to James recommendations.

Help me understand why there’s a big difference in tires between clone heavy and predator.
Especially with 33's , but mostly because of the HP difference and with predator you need to be on the very edge of free and roll speed is king, with all that prep you cannot make any roll speed, another reason higher air is important, Plus I know it's not going to make any sense but once you go past a certain point with prep especially aggressive prep in ( not on ) a 33 all it does is slides around. Think of the tire as a cake 2 parts, cake and frosting with the frosting being the surface only ( which on a 33 is where you want the prep if needed at all, for 90 % of track conditions, there are a few exceptions ) once the cake part is to moist with prep you'll always lack speed.

With the height being adjustable on the axle cassettes. What is the baseline settings for LR and RR. All the way up , down or somewhere in between?

With the height being adjustable on the axle cassettes. What is the baseline settings for LR and RR. All the way up , down or somewhere in between?

The stock and recommended location is indicated by arrows etched into the cassettes.

Back