2014 Gold Cup Series

In regards to races during the school yr now vs a while back....schools are a lot more strict now with missing days. Some threaten to hold them back if they miss too many days and some teachers/principals make it hard on the students to make up the work if the absence is not excused. Definitely something to consider. Would be possible it seems fit 3 of the races in june/july and august and have one in the early months of the year either long before or after state testing takes place if it can be avoided. I'm sure it makes it difficult on parents taking them out of school.

As someone who regards the Gold Cup as the best of the best,.....I will say after this year that by the last event at Kershaw, SC..............It took me back almost a decade as far as the competition level!!! Gold Cup is back, and I think next year will prove even better, with more entries and better racing! Who knows, I hear rumors that some of the oldest and toughest competitors of the Gold Cup past might make their presence felt next season!!

To be determined at JAX????

Peewee, I put a reed PCR two cycle last week on my MGM and tried locally at Langley Speedway in the sprint track configuration. I´ll try again this weekend at VIR kart track. It was fun but the 1st run was scary till I made some setup changes. Much more power.

Springfield is a very fun track, enjoyed racing there in the past and would love to see a Gold Cup there.

I'd have to imagine that I'll be at Jacksonville, serious blowoff classes my last semester of school then. After that, it's kind of a tossup for me. Work is going to dictate what I can and can't do and considering I don't know where I'm working yet I can't make any commitments.

I'd like to see some track variety, but it doesn't seem like there's any making everybody happy with the selection. The Midwest has Norway, Douseman, NCMP, Springfield, and South Bend as quality tracks but of course I'm biased.

Even tho Case had his bell rung 2 years ago at South Bend its his favorite track, He wants to go back, but, Camden is his second favorite so he is happy..Actualy he is a racer and dosen't care where we race as long as its a well run and National caliber style setting.

I know I am in the minority, but I prefer "traditional" four cycle tracks.

When someone asks me my favorite track, I say Barnesville. They usually say it is a s***hole and I say, "Yep, but it's my favorite s***hole" because of tradition and the challenge that exists.

Tracks like Chestertown, Danville, Camden, Adkins, Barnesville, and Rockingham are what made Gold Cup what it was. Going to a track with tons of drafting and two passing points is not much fun. I have not left the shop( too busy) to go to a big race in years. Even when the Gold Cup was two hours away at Norway, I stayed home and went to a club race ten minutes from home. With Camden not being on a Holiday weekend this year, may be my best shot at getting back to a series race.

If we can get the new inner loop in place this year, I will try to push our Leadership Team at Springfield to get with WKA on the possiblility of a race there in 2015 or 2016. We definately have the pit space and local infrastructure and community support to host a Gold Cup.

YES!!!!! Thank you Mike Curry!!!!!! I feel the same way. I just don't have as much fun driving straight as I do when I am turning. I like the small tight tracks as well. I wish I ran back in the day enough to have enjoyed chestertown, Palmetto, Adkins, etc. I didnt even run well at Barnesville but it was still fun. NJ was great. I love bouncing over curbs, moving around the racetrack trying to find grip (or less grip) and being able to grind out a couple of extra tenths. It is just wear I seem to have the most fun is all. I would like to think there are more old guys like Mike, PeeWee and myself out there. We are a vocal, aging minority ;)

i agree i love the small tight tracks like barnevile, avon,batavia,adkins. somewhere you can race back to the front if you mess up a corner or two..

Not to be argumentative Mike, but the tracks you listed are mostly tracks with two passing areas. Barnesville barely has two. Rockingham has two or three. NJ also had two spots to pass. I do like a little variety for sure but aside from new castle and jax drafting is not a big factor. I'll gladly take a track like kershaw which has 7 places to pass. Ideally, 2 races per year would be different than the previous year.Florida has to have another worthy track other than jax. Just to shake things up once in a while. It would be nice to get back to one tight track a year like barnesville, east lansing, etc

Not to be argumentative Mike, but the tracks you listed are mostly tracks with two passing areas. Barnesville barely has two. Rockingham has two or three. NJ also had two spots to pass. I do like a little variety for sure but aside from new castle and jax drafting is not a big factor. I'll gladly take a track like kershaw which has 7 places to pass. Ideally, 2 races per year would be different than the previous year.Florida has to have another worthy track other than jax. Just to shake things up once in a while. It would be nice to get back to one tight track a year like barnesville, east lansing, etc

I'm with Gary on this one 100%

Gary (and Connor),

I keep forgetting that four cycle karts are 55" wide now, not 46" ;)

Ocala looks to be a nice track, although I have never actually raced there. Not sure why WKA has not had a Gold Cup there yet? And what about NOLA? I thought they were a "Four Cycle Friendly" facility.

Same schedules year after year does not promote a very good interest in the sprint world.

In the Enduro world, going to the same 18 tracks year after year is a tradition, and a necessity.

But with the large amount of available venues in the sprint market, I cannot understand why it is same four to five tracks in Man Cup and Gold Cup. It certainly can't be Master Tack status issues. That went out the door when Dismore Senior( and a ton of racers) stood up to WKA and got his first Man Cup seven years ago.

Look at the flack the USPKS is getting right now after posting their 2014 schedule. A promise of a different "Historic" track on the schedule along with three modern venues rotating on a regular basis was what they proposed in 2013 at their inception. Yet the schedule this year is identical to last year.

Mike

Florida has Monticello, about 2 hours west of Jax.. it is a great track. Pit area and parking are better then many I have been to. Hotels, that is in question. Ocala is a very nice track also. And the wives can shop in the flea market all weekend. LOL Lots of hotels close by as well as food and shopping.

I am starting to appreciate the Gold Cup more and more. I have started to run dirt and indoor races on concrete/coke syrup. Looking at running some bigger races this summer as the 2014 schedules are released. If you want a shot at winning, all my research tells me you need at LEAST 3 sets of tires per class, per race day you are running to be up front. And that's with a tire rule. If its open, you better have Maxxis pink, Blue, and Firestone in your trailer. I used to look at our Tire Bills for a gold cup weekend and shake my head. Now I am not so sure it was a bad deal. With Gold Cup, you dont have to Mount, Cut, Roll prep inside, and wipe prep outside, 3-6 sets of tires. Buying 2 or 3 sets of new tires for a whole GC weekend isn't looking so bad anymore.

Granted if you are going to run dirt locally, 3 sets of tires will last you a while in most cases. But just wanted to give the Gold Cup a shout out. Grass aint always greener on the other side.

Back