206 won't idle

clone23

Motor is 206 Black slide unrestricted adult.
Started it up with the black adult unrestricted slide and it will not idle at all. I have to hold it about an 1/8 throttle to keep it running. I've adjusted the idle screws and it has no effect on idle. It also blows black smoke when I'm holding the throttle just a tick to keep it running. Makes me think its super rich. Floats too wide open?

I did rev it up once on the stand ( I know not good on motor) but had to see if it would run. It sounded like a mean machine when it was wide open. But its gotta idle just a little bit. Not sure what to do. I thought these motors didn't require wrenches? I've been out there scratching my head and took the carb off cleaned it again and put back on twice. The carb seems to be a terrible design IMO compared to a clone or honda carb. Very fragile with the floats and needle valves.

Also why doesn't the carb match the venturi entry. I mean you can kinda adjust the left side up or down. Now why would you need ot do that for? Why doesn't it just bolt straight on. The left side venturi bolt holder is notched out where you can adjust the carb physically I guess up and down?

Thanks for any input.

Adjust the float. Either that or a blocked piolet jet. Its something small why it wont idle.
The carb can be adjust depending on what deg mount you use to keep the carb flat.

air compressor and carb cleaner. Removed needle valve and all parts. no blocked jet. So adjust teh float by bending it up or down?

Try adjusting the brass fitting on top of the carb(underneath) the rubber boot, my carb is set in the richest setting on the needle and have no idle problems.

You guys are right -- moving the clip up on the needle will "fix" the idle problem, but it's certainly not the first thing I'd try.
I talked with the OP on the phone today and he'll get it right.

FWIW, I set all my unrestricted 206's on the bottom clip. (as do most of the 206 "builders" I know)

Remove the carb, disassemble it completely, mindful of where all the parts belong. Remember that springs are behind both the idle-mixture screw, along with the larger brass screw, that's the idle speed adjustment. Clean the carb body & bowl up so that it looks new, either carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or soap & hot water will work. After the body is clean, use compressed air to blow out all of the orifices you can see until completely dry. That includes the air/mixture port (back toward the air cleaner on the outside of the body) and make sure you can feel the air exiting from the center of the carb. Next, clean up the two jets you removed, the larger is the main jet (probably marked 95) and the smaller jet (marked 32) and make sure you can see through them, and blow compressed air through each one. Might want to weigh the float at this point, should be less than 10 grams. If heavier, that's problematic. If good, let's move forward.

Reassemble as it came apart, make sure the float is not upside down, then install it with a maximum height (do this with the carb upside down, and resting on the top slide hole) of .870 (22mm) with the float valve (meters the flow of fuel into the bowl) in place. Once that's done, place the bowl back on it, and remount. Start the engine after pressurizing the tank, or pulling the rope until fuel enters the bowl. Use the throttle linkage to keep it running, slowing turning the larger brass screw on the outside of the carb (idle speed adjustment) in until a desirable RPM is obtained. With a carb working correctly, you should be able to change the idle RPM's by moving the air/fuel mixture adjustment either in or out with a screwdriver. Probably stalling the motor when all the way turned in. Begin with that air/mixture adjustment out 1-1/2 turns, then adjust for the highest idle with the mixture screw. Once that's achieved, the final adjustment is the correct idle, with the idle adjustment screw.

Good luck!

Back