21 Scythe or 14 Triton?

HKMIII

I’m getting back into racing. I have the option to buy a ‘21 Scythe race ready for $2k and a ‘13 Triton race ready for $2200. I’ve been told the Scythe wasn’t great. But I don’t know about spending the same amount of money for a chassis that’s 8 years older. Need some guidance from you guys that have experience with both.

Define race ready with both karts. What engine, clutch, ect.? Race ready to 1 person is different than another.

Engine, clutch, tach and kart stand. My main question is the Scythe as bad as I’ve heard. Had one guy tell me it’s the worst phantom he’s ever owned.

Is it an 083 scythe or an 095? The 095 is much more forgiving, the 083 needs tuned up and the right tire all the time. The 095 you can set up with all the normal variations, lower cross, lower left, more cross etc and it will respond and react as intended. A triton and an 095 scythe won't be a huge difference.

We run run three Scythe, they're as fast as any karts on the market. As Flattop said, more speed potential in the Scythe compared to a Triton. The Triton is still good, but there are better options available now.

We run run three Scythe, they're as fast as any karts on the market. As Flattop said, more speed potential in the Scythe compared to a Triton. The Triton is still good, but there are better options available now.
Good to know. I’m going to put my 10yo on a triton jr we’re getting with a 2018 recon. I think I’m going to ride the recon and let my 5yo learn to race with the scythe.

My son is currently riding a Triton Jr, and my nephew riding a Scythe, and my Brother has two Scythe. I never liked the Recon that much myself. It's still a decent kart but it suffered the same fate as the Scythe when it came out.

No one liked the Recon when it came out because it didn't instantly live up to the Triton. Then they got the Duece and everyone hated it and they told them the Triton wasn't coming back and they released the Recon again and everyone loved it. But, the Scythe in my opinion is hands down a better kart than the Recon. Now the Mini-Con might actually be a better kart than the Triton Jr, I just haven't had my hands on one.

I personally love the Triton myself, but before i paid that much for one over the Scythe, id have to know the history of it. If it was low races driven by a smaller side person, that would ease my mind a bit.
As far as the Recon, much easier on tires than the Scythe, and all around a better kart. And as Cole pointed out, the .095 was better than the .083 with the Scythe.
Still to this day IMO the Triton was the best kart made.

I have 3 tritons. The best kart I ever owned. I found almost new 14 last year. We have a recon. I just can't get the speed out of it like the trinon. Very easy to get the tires right on the Triton and when I make a change it reacts

Back