#219 vs #35 chain

The exact same ratio, but the 219 sprockets would both be smaller than the #35 chain sprockets.

The 219 chain came about because of the Europeans racing direct drive. A 10 tooth engine sprocket in 219 is smaller than a 9 tooth #35 chain sprocket. That means you can put more teeth on the axle. Direct drive racing can often use a lower ratio. This means, instead of a say, 9/72 equals 8-1, you might run a 10/83 = 8.3 – 1 and still have ground clearance on the axle gear. Pretty hard, (ground clearance) to run a 75 tooth #35 sprocket on 34" tire.

The only reason I can see for running 219 chain on dirt is I think the 219 is a little better quality. And that's debatable.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Ok I had my info backwards, what's the next size (bigger) than the 35? I am holding a 54 tooth rear sprocket with big teeth and it's about the same size as a 70 gear in 35 size

I don't think everyone will let you run a chain larger than a #35 unless its something like in the UAS or a shifter kart. Bigger chain is heavier, not all sprockets are as readily available, and usually unnecessary. I know I sure would not want to get hit by any chain let alone a chunk of 40/41 chain.

FWIW, we ran 219 on our Yamaha's for years, they were high maintenance and expensive. When we started racing UAS and running 35 for final drive they held up incredibly well. I wouldn't go back to 219 on anything.

DK

I don't think everyone will let you run a chain larger than a #35 unless its something like in the UAS or a shifter kart. Bigger chain is heavier, not all sprockets are as readily available, and usually unnecessary. I know I sure would not want to get hit by any chain let alone a chunk of 40/41 chain.

This is a UAS application. I want to take the big chain off and run 35 so I can have gear selection

The exact same ratio, but the 219 sprockets would both be smaller than the #35 chain sprockets.

The 219 chain came about because of the Europeans racing direct drive. A 10 tooth engine sprocket in 219 is smaller than a 9 tooth #35 chain sprocket. That means you can put more teeth on the axle. Direct drive racing can often use a lower ratio. This means, instead of a say, 9/72 equals 8-1, you might run a 10/83 = 8.3 – 1 and still have ground clearance on the axle gear. Pretty hard, (ground clearance) to run a 75 tooth #35 sprocket on 34" tire.

The only reason I can see for running 219 chain on dirt is I think the 219 is a little better quality. And that's debatable.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Actually you mentioned the reason for running a 219 chain on dirt, which would be for more clearance for the rear gear/sprocket and the ground. On dirt, rough tracks will beat up a rear gear and hub if you run a big enough gear and small enough rear tires and dont have a good chain guard. The 219 chain and gears will allow you to run smaller gears and have that clearance but most tracks in oval kart racing only allow #35 chain for some reason

Actually you mentioned the reason for running a 219 chain on dirt, which would be for more clearance for the rear gear/sprocket and the ground. On dirt, rough tracks will beat up a rear gear and hub if you run a big enough gear and small enough rear tires and dont have a good chain guard. The 219 chain and gears will allow you to run smaller gears and have that clearance but most tracks in oval kart racing only allow #35 chain for some reason

Never seen someone get booted for running a 219 and we have raced in 6 states?

Back