220 Electrical Question

JRich31

Just found out someone wired my water heater into a 220v breaker but only used 1/2 of it, so I am only getting 110v.

Rearrranged breakers and ran new wire to water heater but something does not look right.

Wire in Breaker box...Red to breaker
Black to breaker
Ground (Bare) to Ground leg
White to Neutral leg

Wire to Water Heater...Red to Red
Black to Black
Ground (Bare) to Ground Screw
White to ?

No white wire on Water Heater, just Red, Black and Ground. Where should I tie White wire in at? This has me stumped a bit...lol

#31 Jackie Rich

cut the bare copper end off white wire on heater end then wire nut the white wire all the many that ive installed use red and black hot legs and a bare copper ground,I always check in breaker box to insure red and black are on seperate cicuits either 2 30 amp breakers or a double 30

@Krakkergreg, maybe I am reading your reply wrong, which has happened to me more than once...lol, there is NO White wire on the Water Heater, just Red, Black and Ground (Bare). Where should I put the White wire in the new wire I ran from the breaker box?

Breaker box is wired correctly.

Last edited:
water heaters have A straight 240 V load and only need three wires, hot, hot, ground.
You can cut the white. Neutral is not used on most water heaters.

@Pavehawk, that's what I figured but didn't want to do that until I got confirmation. Would it hurt if I tied it in to the Ground (Bare)?

The white wire which is the common should be at ground potential if your box is wired correctly. Your breakers need to be on different legs of the incoming power. That is accomplished by wiring to two breakers in a row on one side of the panel if you don't have a ganged breaker on the panel. That will give you 220/240 depending on your transformer tap.

Do not use two single pole breakers. It is a two pole breaker for a reason. If you turn off only one you'll still have 120 olts going to th W/H. If there is a problem with the W/H a two pole trips both legs. (common trip)
First off it was wired 120 volts. Was that a mistake or is it a 120 volt W/H.
As far as the white (neutral) if its a 240 volt W/H there is no need for a neutral, cap it off by it self! if its a 120 volt W/H then you need one leg & neutral.
Look at the name plate on the W/H for voltage it will say eighter 115 or 230
Neutral & Ground are bonded at the first mean of disconnect ONLY. to tie them together ANY other place is a violation of NEC 250.6 and possibly creates objectional current.

Sorry for confusing you but i am not an electrician but my family has had many rentals over the years if your wire going to heater has a white wire just cap it with a wire nut was what i meant to say

Sorry for confusing you but i am not an electrician but my family has had many rentals over the years if your wire going to heater has a white wire just cap it with a wire nut was what i meant to say

never use anything but a double pole breaker for 220

i know you are trying to help but if you are not sure don't give information.

someone that knows will give correct info

You must be a union electrician.I am sure of the info Ive given I have replaced hundreds of heaters in the last 30 years from Canandeagua to pawleys Island With my info he was able to have a hot shower last night

Thanks for all the replies. I only use a double pole breaker for any 220. The water heater was wired into a 220, but only one leg was used, I have no idea why the guy did it this way.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hooking 120v up wonk hurt the heaters. Will only get 1/2 heating wattage. Will take a very long time to heat up. Just make shure the unit is rated for 240v.

Red to red
Black to black
Ground to ground screw green
White cap it.

Use volt meter on power in or at t-stat to check that your getting 240v.

Back