22's roasted

Bergh223

Hey Team,

Didnt have the right tires for the hard crumbly dry slick track I ran on. They ran a full Microsprint show the night before our day race yesterday. Water disappeared before we even got on the track. Had to run my 22's punching low 40's to try and get enough bite. Feathered pretty good all the way across RF, RR, and LR, LF not quite as bad. They ended up getting pretty hard too. Was wiping with some aggressive stuff.

Are these tires shot? I can probably resurface them to get the feathering out but I just don't see how I could possibly get enough good back in them to use them again.

I am thinking I should just chuck em or give em to someone who is desperate for tires. Thoughts?

This really depends on just how bad they are. What is the tread depth and how were they cut previously? They may be able to be re-cut on a Jones machine to get them back usable again.
If you can sand all the feathering off and still have a halfway decent profile left (again, depends how tapered they are worn) then you can always add some oils back to the tire to make them usable again. Our Pink Panther works very well internally. You can also wipe it externally, and/or wipe them with our Pink Panther "thick" and wrap them up for a few weeks.

I've taken some pretty rough looking tires that we've gotten through our shop (dry cracked, overheated and abused, etc) and got speed back out of them -- albeit never as good as a brand new tire, you'd be surprised how competitive a seemingly junk set of tires can be made. ;)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I agree with Brian...i would try resurfacing them and get some oils back in the tires, if nothing else keep them for a soft track. I would not have been on 22's on a dry day track in the first place...if its open or no tire rules I would have been on older thin cut 33's or prepped down 55's myself. I've had better luck with B55's on the hard and dry day races where the track is crumbling or falling apart. I have a set of B55's that have 3oz of pink magic in them and those tires have always been fast on the dry daytime racetracks

10-4. They were full rubber 22's. I had been wiping Insanity Aggressive w a cap full of creo to try and get grip. The track was real slimy the week before and dried out. Tire started a light feather on the inside shoulder which told me it was pretty much right on. This past week it was dry, cracked, crumbly surface that was breaking up. My 33's, even with the roll, were still 2 or 3 tenths slower than the guys who showed up with Vegas. (We are typically a Burris only track but opened up rules to get some more entries). Had to bolt the 22's on for the heat to try and get some bite but just cooked em. Ill just make sure I work on building bite during the week, got lazy and tried to just wipe at the track as it was a low count local show. Learned my lesson! Thanks

Vega will be hard to beat on either of the track conditions you described, I would invest in a couple sets of them for sure if you plan on racing there alot. You need some Krug Green, it will work better than the aggressive outside and creo will...that prep does better on tracks with a little moisture in it in my opinion, like night time racing when dew sets on the track. The Krug will work well when the track is wet and slimy or when it dries out so bad its falling apart, I use it alot.

This really depends on just how bad they are. What is the tread depth and how were they cut previously? They may be able to be re-cut on a Jones machine to get them back usable again.
If you can sand all the feathering off and still have a halfway decent profile left (again, depends how tapered they are worn) then you can always add some oils back to the tire to make them usable again. Our Pink Panther works very well internally. You can also wipe it externally, and/or wipe them with our Pink Panther "thick" and wrap them up for a few weeks.

I've taken some pretty rough looking tires that we've gotten through our shop (dry cracked, overheated and abused, etc) and got speed back out of them -- albeit never as good as a brand new tire, you'd be surprised how competitive a seemingly junk set of tires can be made. ;)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I got a set of cracked 33’s going on the open for indoors.braaaaap.the kart don’t know there is cracks in em neither does the dirt

I got a set of cracked 33’s going on the open for indoors.braaaaap.the kart don’t know there is cracks in em neither does the dirt

Ha ha ha. With that open, you can likely over power the tires anyhow.
On syrup, some of the best tires I've had were prep / dry cracked.

If they're fast - run'em!

Back