2st/ 4st motor swap

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
looking at buying a cart that had a 2 stroke on it.. i want to run 4 stroke... are the chassis different, can i just bolt my motor mount on and 4 stroke motor?

looking at buying a cart that had a 2 stroke on it.. i want to run 4 stroke... are the chassis different, can i just bolt my motor mount on and 4 stroke motor?
wake up
I think people will have to know what kart are you buying. Year and model. A purpose built kart for four cycle is different from the purpose built two cycle kart.

Chassis design can vary due to the expected horsepower levels and track conditions. Back when I raced 2-cycles those engines had more power than the 4-cycle engines so the chassis tended to be stiffer - but I'm not sure if that's still true today. But you can mount both types of engine to almost any chassis.

You may need to swap motor mounts or motor mount pieces. Generally a 4-cycle motor has a larger mounting pad than a 2-cycle engine. You may also find the chassis’ motor mount bar spacing is different. Probably you'll need to install a different throttle cable, and possibly change the fuel line. The two types of engines weigh different amounts so you may need to weigh out the kart and move weights around.

It's a shadow not sure the year, for me, it's a starter kart. sounds like i can make it work. it's a roller, so i'm starting from there... and i'm new to the sport and haven't got my hands dirty yet,.. so sounds like putting a chevy motor in a ford... can be done, just may need to make sure my parts match up...

There are Euro karts which with direct drive on a 2 stroke, it usually drives outside the right rear bearing hanger vs. inside the frame rail as well with most American made karts. With those Euro karts, you generally have a crossmember/seat struts in the way. Just keep that in mind with some newer Euro karts.

We had a DAP that we bought new, had to change total brake sys., axle hubs saw off seat mounts and use bolt ons, won a lot of races with it.

It's a shadow not sure the year, for me, it's a starter kart. sounds like i can make it work. it's a roller, so i'm starting from there... and i'm new to the sport and haven't got my hands dirty yet,.. so sounds like putting a chevy motor in a ford... can be done, just may need to make sure my parts match up...
look on the master cyl bracket or left rear bearing hanger for some #s. this will at least tell you what year it was made.

Back