34 degrees of timing

bullerman

Is 34 degrees of timing too much for a cl2 cam in a hemi. My friend has a hemi with the gold flywheel on it. I see they make a 28 and 34 degree flywheel.
At the track the other day the motor had a flat sound to it. He didn't have a tach so I don't know what it was turning. Just wondering about the timing.

34 should be good if you have carb and exhaust breathing correct. I myself would like 32 all things being equal

I use to race old v6's and 4 pot's. The standard setting on a static distributor was always between 32 and 34 degrees, the ignition was set at these values because the engines were tuned for max power between 5000 and 7000 rpm, this allows the fuel time to burn and give maximum expansion in the chamber. We're doing the same thing for most GX engines running on Petrol/Gas.

Is 34 degrees of timing too much for a cl2 cam in a hemi. My friend has a hemi with the gold flywheel on it. I see they make a 28 and 34 degree flywheel.
At the track the other day the motor had a flat sound to it. He didn't have a tach so I don't know what it was turning. Just wondering about the timing.
Gas or methanol? We were close to 28-30 on the hemi, not heavily worked. Just a cam and milling on the head, maybe round the short side of the head.

Gas. Found out the flywheel is the 34 degree.. I put it in with a straight up key. Has a stock predator carb out if the Box. Don't know what jets.
There is nothing done to the head I know of. I need to put my degree wheel on and check the timing and see what it is. I would just think 34 is too much.

If I remember correctly standard gx engines were around 22-26 degrees. Two main benefits, 1) minimal kickback when trying to pull start and 2) comfortable ignition timing for engine running around 3500rpm,

Back