5/16 or 1/4 wheel studs

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
I've gone through some of the old posts, looking for a clearer answer..
given a choice of wheel stud,... wouldn't you want to always run the 5/16 studs?
why would you not? really no weight savings there... is it a rule thing?? Your thoughts please.. thanks

Most wheels come with 1/4" holes and most karts come with 1/4" studs (last I checked). The best reason to stick with 1/4" for me is because karters often share tires between karts and it seems the majority are on 1/4". However, if you aren't concerned about being able to borrow and loan tires at the track then 5/16" makes a lot of sense. And if I were doing that, I would run 1/2" wheel nuts and upgrade gear nuts to 1/2" so that the same size wrenches and sockets could be used for working with weights, gears, and tires to keep pit work faster and simpler.

There isn't much weight saving. For most I think it is a convenience thing. Wheels have 1/4" holes and most hubs now come with just the 1/4" option. Studs and flange nuts are easier to find in the 1/4 through you local kart shop or parts trailer.

Most of your high HP karts have gone to the 5/16 studs out of fear of breaking studs. Probably not needed, but I run them as well on both of my karts. Most older hubs had the 5/16 stud holes pre drilled and tapped. Now to save weight on the hub most newer karts only have the 1/4 stud placements, and Phantom has Press in studs now. So those could possibly still be drilled and tapped to 5/16 if needed, not sure there.

The mandates implemented by some organizations have been due to safety concerns, especially with high HP & roadracing applications. Generally, if you are one who still uses a ratchet & socket to install your wheels by hand, 1/4" grade 8 bolts & serrated nuts should work fine. Should you use air or electric impact tools to install your wheels, or if a high HP or roadrace application, I'd recommend 5/16" hardware. I don't borrow/loan wheels/tires for mental health reasons (Gives folks memory loss when time to return stuff) so as long as all my karts are the same, I'm good.

We broke some RR wheel studs the first time, then I was very diligent to do better maintainance on all the studs and not to over torque them.We still had problems. we run on a very fast 7th mile asphalt track and the fact that my son is 200lbs now. I run a better RR hub and 5/16 studs now. I dont use other peoples tires so not problem for me. Safety is number one to me. I didnt like watching my son flip at 50 mph and sliding on his head. the weight is minimal, the strenght is increased about 30%. I will never go back to 1/4 studs for an adult.

Most wheels come with 1/4" holes and most karts come with 1/4" studs (last I checked). The best reason to stick with 1/4" for me is because karters often share tires between karts and it seems the majority are on 1/4". However, if you aren't concerned about being able to borrow and loan tires at the track then 5/16" makes a lot of sense. And if I were doing that, I would run 1/2" wheel nuts and upgrade gear nuts to 1/2" so that the same size wrenches and sockets could be used for working with weights, gears, and tires to keep pit work faster and simpler.

You can already get 1/2" lug nuts for the 1/4" studs, that is what i use on my kart, mainly for the reason you just said, not having to change sockets and everything when at the track makes things quicker. The only people i see breaking the 1/4 studs are the ones you can hear all the way across the pits when their impact is hammering the hell out of the nuts when changing wheels. Alot of guys dont realize that you dont keep on when it starts hammering, you stop when you first hear it lol.

Or if the 1/4" studs are not grade 8. I've seen many who complained about losing a wheel and it was due to grade 5 or less studs/bolts. I've in the past run a twin enduro kart with 1/4" grade 8 bolts in the hubs and never had an issue when properly torqued. Mandating 5/16" studs has a lot to do with folks not torque ing things like they should. They're just protecting the rest of us from those who choose to not do things properly, that's all.

I haven't seen any studs break yet personally, have bent quite a few of them, usually my own fault for a wheel being loose when I left the grid and end up losing a wheel, or when you throw a chain and it takes out all the studs, gear guards, and sometimes the clutch levers or springs also.

Back