70 years ago today.....

jg299c

Thousand of men stormed the beaches of Normandy, in what turned out to be the turning point of the European theater of WWII. We should all take the time to Honor these brave men and be in awe in what they sacrificed and accomplished.

My uncle, William Burroughs of the Royal Canadian Air Force, was in the squadron that did the smoke screen over the top of the hill to help make seeing targets difficult for the defenders.

I watched a show on the military channel yesterday. They had a group of men that landed on the beach. Very sad and brought tears to my eyes listening to them talk about some of the things they encountered that day. So young and so brave and they payed the ultimate price for freedom. I am at a lose for words at what I can say except Thank You.

Frankie

Normandy My mother spent WW2 in London under the Nazi rockets and planes as a kid. My Father was Master Chief Petty Officer First Class with 21yrs of service. They both made the trip too Normandy about 10yrs ago, my Dad said it was the most moving place he had ever been too . He said you could feel and all most see the landing craft coming a shore.

Thanks, P.K. but wrong William, my uncle at 16, when the war began, lied and forged his mothers so he could enlist in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Force was not created until after the war. They caught him , so he went right up to Canada, so I'm thinking he prolly was about 17-18, He survived and brought a gorgeous Brunette wife, moved to Cal. and worked as a drug salesman.

It's getting to the years now when there are not many WWII vets still living. If you know one or see one, make sure you thank them every chance you get. The Greatest Generation for sure!

Jack check my facebook,they just printed a great story on the bedford boys,and a group that came here from Fla. (yes we treated them as they should be HERO'S) for the event.

Our nation's leaders need to embrace the spirit of Americanism that these brave young souls personified on that day and respect the sacrifices by them and countless others.

Squirly, thanks, I saw the whole story on a local PBS station a few nights back, Hard to believe that a small town , Bedford,Va., could have the greatest per-capita loss of all towns in our great country.

Back