A/C probelms

jake17j

Looking for some help here have a 03 Envoy the air works when you first start out but then it just kinda peters out after 10-15 minutes. With it working to start I'm
thinking my freon is fine but maybe a sensor going bad or possibly a dirty condenser? haven't had a chance to look at it in the light so can't tell.

Does one of the ac lines get cold when the others hot, or the both warm.if both is warm probably clogged condensor. When it stops cooling is compressor still turning off/on?

If the compressor is coming on then goes off then back on then off its low on freon, every car has a A/C dryer in it just like you have in your A/C at your house. If your dryer is clogged it will NOT let the freon go through the system like it should. The dryer collects moister and any trash that might be in the system. To bad you not close to me I'll be happy to come over and help you out. Best of luck to you and PM me if you have any question and I'll try my best to help you out.

Freon has been outlawed for at least 30yrs...FYI...and usually only the newer AC's in your home have dryers on them...
All refrigerant has different names freon was a old one...

Make sure your condenser is clean, and your evaporator in side the cabin is clean...you can buy a cheapo set of gauges at harbour freight and check to see what is going on with your pressures...
On a car there is a dryer, accumulator and receiver...along with the condenser, evaporator, and compressor...
More than likely it is low...the newer refrigerant has smaller molecules and can leak out very easily, also runs at twice the pressures of the older refrigerant...

Sounds like a mixer door problem. after 10 mins. of running your heater has hot water in the core.
It might be that your heating the cooled air.

TSB= Some 2002–2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Oldsmobile Bravada vehicles may exhibit a condition of no cold air from the air conditioning or poor performance of the air conditioning system. This concern may occur at any time during the drive cycle and at any temperature setting. The HVAC system operation may return to normal after the vehicle has been keyed to off and restarted. This concern has been found on vehicles equipped with both manual (CJ3) and automatic (CJ2) HVAC systems.

To ensure customer satisfaction and prevent service visits, the HVAC system should be enhanced with a software updated, especially in those areas with high ambient temperatures and high humidity. The HVAC control module in any vehicle built prior to October, 2002 should be updated using software available through GM Access beginning September 9, 2002. The update will be available October 7, 2002 on TIS 2000 CD version 10. This software update addresses both the intermittent and no cooling on all systems and the poor performance concerns on automatic systems (CJ2). If the software update does not correct the concerns, perform the HVAC Diagnostic System Check and repair as necessary. If an HVAC control module is replaced with a part from GMSPO, make sure the module has this latest software update. The module may need to be updated even though it is a new part.

Its low on refrigerant and causing sub-freezing temperatures at the orifice tube then it slowly ices over the evaporator and restricts airflow resulting in hot vents. If you turn it off for a few minutes I bet it comes back normal.

Back