Ackerman

Does moving the front L blocks (staggering them) change tbe tie rod angle enough to be concerned with changing Ackerman? Thanks

Does moving the front L blocks (staggering them) change tbe tie rod angle enough to be concerned with changing Ackerman? Thanks
From time to time, manufacturers come up with different things to give them an advantage. At least they think it's an advantage. No other manufacturer wants to be caught without that perceived advantage. And it goes on and on. Not that they're not an advantage, they very well could be, but I think it's a little of "monkey see monkey do". You don't want to lose a sale because your kart doesn't have what the other guys kart has. Just a theory.

Ackerman is generally adjusted by moving the tie rod pivot on the steering arm in relation to the kingpin pivot. It is generally referred to as the difference in steered angle between the left and right front wheels.

Moving the L block forward or back moves both pivots equally in relation to steering shaft tie rod pivot.

There may be a slight change in toe, easily adjusted, but Ackerman should be unaffected.

As s side note, most drivers cannot feel a small change in Ackerman. Most times this will be seen at turn in.

Last edited:
I set my kart straight up with no toe using the center hole on the bracket . I have found that by moving the tie rod end one hole in either direction moves that tire 1/16 th of an inch . By moving the tie rod on just one side , it will make that tire turn in or out sooner or later than the other tire , depending on what hole I use . Most of the time you never have to change this , but it is a fast change to try if your kart just needs a small adjustment to tighten or loosen it up in the front end . If you change your caster/camber on either side , it does change your toe , so you need to reset your toe after making that adjustment , and moving the tie rod end can make it faster to do .

Back