acrysol

Has anyone used toluene?
Yes , works to soften them , BUT it is pretty nasty stuff.
One of those things that you don't breathe, get on skin and never heat tires and breathe fumes. Unless you don't care about quality of life. But the same can be said for a lot of preps we use.
If you can't find Acrysol. which is available at paint stores,lowes, Home depot.
Naptha VMP 2parts and Xylene 1 part is pretty darn close and is what I use instead of acrysol.

Yes , works to soften them , BUT it is pretty nasty stuff.
One of those things that you don't breathe, get on skin and never heat tires and breathe fumes. Unless you don't care about quality of life. But the same can be said for a lot of preps we use.
If you can't find Acrysol. which is available at paint stores,lowes, Home depot.
Naptha VMP 2parts and Xylene 1 part is pretty darn close and is what I use instead of acrysol.
None of the chemicals you mention do you want to breath or get on your skin if at all possible, including acrysol and Naptha VM&P.
Toluene isnt anymore nasty than Xylene or even acrysol. MEK is the one chemical to do your best to stay away from.

None of the chemicals you mention do you want to breath or get on your skin if at all possible, including acrysol and Naptha VM&P.
Toluene isnt anymore nasty than Xylene or even acrysol. MEK is the one chemical to do your best to stay away from.
Yes Earl I agree, I thought I made that clear but guess I did not.
All preps we use are dangerous . I understand that Track Tac has some that are not as dangerous??? Other than that I can't think of any that will not kill you, give you cancer or lower you quality of life . Your skin is not impervious to chemicals, Anything you put on your skin will transfer to your bloodstream.
Sad part is that the way most of them work is you won't see the results in your health until years later! Then doctors cannot just magically say your cancer was caused by using tire preps when you were racing. And even if they do, It is too late to do anything about it.

Yes Earl I agree, I thought I made that clear but guess I did not.
All preps we use are dangerous . I understand that Track Tac has some that are not as dangerous??? Other than that I can't think of any that will not kill you, give you cancer or lower you quality of life . Your skin is not impervious to chemicals, Anything you put on your skin will transfer to your bloodstream.
Sad part is that the way most of them work is you won't see the results in your health until years later! Then doctors cannot just magically say your cancer was caused by using tire preps when you were racing. And even if they do, It is too late to do anything about it.
Neither Xylene or Toluene, among many other chemicals contained in tire preps, are considered carcinogenic. Now let me be clear, there are some preps that do contain a portion, or wholly, a carcinogenic.
What Xylene, Toluene, and a host of others, are toxic towards the nervous system. MEK just happens to be one of, if not, the worst of them as far as attacking the nervous system. These type chemicals, which include acrysol, dry quickly into your skin being absorbed into the blood stream and carried throughout the body, and after long periods of exposure can cause damage. Long periods of exposure varies with different people as well, it is best to always use common sense and precaution when using any chemical.
Just wanted to help folks understand what these chemicals do.

Neither Xylene or Toluene, among many other chemicals contained in tire preps, are considered carcinogenic. Now let me be clear, there are some preps that do contain a portion, or wholly, a carcinogenic.
What Xylene, Toluene, and a host of others, are toxic towards the nervous system. MEK just happens to be one of, if not, the worst of them as far as attacking the nervous system. These type chemicals, which include acrysol, dry quickly into your skin being absorbed into the blood stream and carried throughout the body, and after long periods of exposure can cause damage. Long periods of exposure varies with different people as well, it is best to always use common sense and precaution when using any chemical.
Just wanted to help folks understand what these chemicals do.
I agree, They may not cause cancer, just central nervous system damage
. and some organs like the heart, lungs, liver. Not as bad as MEK or goat pee.

My point is when you prep tires inside a closed space, Put them in a hot box inside, or use a torch to heat them up. You are with all of the preps that we use , exposing yourself to future health problems.

Last edited:
Back