adding rear stagger

New Racer

This sounds like a dumb question but when they say add rear stagger what tire are u adding more stagger to is it the right rear or left rear for instance my right side is 34 with 6lbs of air and left rear is 33 with 5lbs what do you do if u had to add lil more?

The amount of stagger is equal to how much bigger the right is than the left.
In your reference above you have 1" of stagger.
If you were to make your left rear 32.5" you would have 1.5" of stagger, Thus you would have added stagger.

adding stagger is accomplished by either shrinking the lr or stretching the rr or (less desired) putting the lr on a wider rim. Search stretching and shrinking any you will find plenty of how to info.

Increase RR one half inch diameter. Reduce LR one half inch. Will add 1" stagger.
That's probably too big a change, by 1/2 inch.
Changing rim width also changes tire diameter.

Being new I might be wrong but here is what I believe about stagger. To add a small amount of stagger, like a quick adjustment at the track you can add air to the RR and reduce air to the LR. The problem with this I have found is you might get too much air in the LR. For a quick adjustment you can add a half a pound to RR and remove a half of a pound from the LR.
At first I needed a larger amount of stagger adjustment than I could gain with air pressure. I had to stretch the LR about a half an inch. I inflated the tire to about a half inch over what I wanted it to be. I wrapped my tape measure around the tire and added air until I got to where I wanted it to be, then set the tire in the sun for a couple of days. When I let the air out the tire was where I wanted it to be.
I got the RR to shrink a little bit by doing the opposite. I deflated it and set it in the sun deflated. When it got good and hot, I dunked it in ice water.

Being new I might be wrong but here is what I believe about stagger. To add a small amount of stagger, like a quick adjustment at the track you can add air to the RR and reduce air to the LR. The problem with this I have found is you might get too much air in the LR. For a quick adjustment you can add a half a pound to RR and remove a half of a pound from the LR.
At first I needed a larger amount of stagger adjustment than I could gain with air pressure. I had to stretch the LR about a half an inch. I inflated the tire to about a half inch over what I wanted it to be. I wrapped my tape measure around the tire and added air until I got to where I wanted it to be, then set the tire in the sun for a couple of days. When I let the air out the tire was where I wanted it to be.
I got the RR to shrink a little bit by doing the opposite. I deflated it and set it in the sun deflated. When it got good and hot, I dunked it in ice water.

Get your stagger right with proper air, your hurting handling by adjusting with air and going out to run.

Back