Adjustable jet Legal in AKRA carb?

Is it legal to put an adjustable jet in a clone carb (akra legal clone) as long as the jet remains at or below max size? The only advantage would be the ability to change jetting at the track easier for weather changes (and possibly be easier to make smaller changes than going from say a .038 to a .039)

I dont see why it wouldnt be legal as long as you have it below the .42 no go size. Maybe DynoDon could provide some imput on this as to why it is not legal. I dont see anything in the rules about not being able to use an adjustable jet, but when you dont see something in the rules, it usually means it isnt allowed.

It would not be legal because it is not part of a stock carburetor configuration ... and because it is not specifically allowed or provided for as an exception to the stock carburetor configuration under AKRA rules.

I can't help but think you are just joking. But if you're not, what exactly don't you understand about "stock, or stock appearing"?
I had a friend that got disqualified at the nationals because his crankshaft had extra counterweight. He just couldn't understand why that was illegal, after all, it doesn't say you can't add counterweight in the rulebook.
It sometimes amazes me the justifications people will come up with for cheating.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.

The rules are in place to let you know what you can and can't do with what comes in the box can't add to but can aways take a lil away ;)

Ok, so the argument is it didn't come that way, right? They also didn't come with a header, high flow air filter. They allow valve spring shims, to ease making the best valve spring height that could possibly be found in a "best" out of the box engine..which I agree with. We can now hone the rod for clearance, which to me is good, just to keep from picking through parts to get enough clearance to live. I think most agree that jet changes are tough at the track, and going to a 1/2 size is expensive. Now for me, I can tune on the dyno..so no big deal to me. I was just asked by a customer if the adjustable jet would be ok, as long as the carb didn't have over the max jet size in it. Actually, I don't even know if the adjustable jet would perform well with that small of a jet, but I will test it. And finally, I would almost bet that the open jet would be better than the adjustable, as long as the air to fuel was correct. As I stated, I will test it.

I can't help but think you are just joking. But if you're not, what exactly don't you understand about "stock, or stock appearing"?
I had a friend that got disqualified at the nationals because his crankshaft had extra counterweight. He just couldn't understand why that was illegal, after all, it doesn't say you can't add counterweight in the rulebook.
It sometimes amazes me the justifications people will come up with for cheating.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.

If you are trying to say I want to cheat, that's the worst thing you could ever say to me. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but I have a serious problem with someone accusing me of cheating!!!

Ok, so the argument is it didn't come that way, right? They also didn't come with a header, high flow air filter. They allow valve spring shims, to ease making the best valve spring height ...... We can now hone the rod for clearance ........

Barry, no that's really not the argument ... the application of the rule is that an adjustable jet is not part of the stock carburetor configuration, and there is no specific provision within the rules that allows the use of an adjustable jet.

The other items mentioned ... header, air filter, spring shims, and honing of the rod ... are all allowed and specifically stated by item within the rules.

Barry, no that's really not the argument ... the application of the rule is that an adjustable jet is not part of the stock carburetor configuration, and there is no specific provision within the rules that allows the use of an adjustable jet.

The other items mentioned ... header, air filter, spring shims, and honing of the rod ... are all allowed and specifically stated by item within the rules.

I understand, and I am fine with it. I am not looking for an advantage, I was asked, so I asked...simple as that.

I think the adjustable jet would be a great idea. 20 years ago I raced completely stock flatheads on gas. I would adjust the mixture on the track for best power. Unlike an alcohol burning engine....the sweet spot could be felt when adjusting the mixture screw. I'd say now most people are running on the rich side to keep from hurting power from being to lean.

Just to be clear, I told the guy asking me about the adjustable jet that I didn't think it would be allowed, then he was like...but it wouldn't change the jetting, as long as the max size is not exceeded. I just wanted to be correct in my response to him, as he don't have the ability to find out like I do (no internet, computer, etc, he's older than I am..LOL). I will be testing this soon, I will put my house engine back on the dyno, and install a .042 jet with the adjustable jet. I will let you guys know what I find, good or bad.

Barry; G'Day; Not positive haven't touched 1 yet,But my guess is this jet comes W/Orifice that would give you .020-.100?? Jet size From years of ope shop ownership Guessing; It would only make sense; I want to see 1 & fig. out what carb they came from and proceed........ Dave
Just to be clear, I told the guy asking me about the adjustable jet that I didn't think it would be allowed, then he was like...but it wouldn't change the jetting, as long as the max size is not exceeded. I just wanted to be correct in my response to him, as he don't have the ability to find out like I do (no internet, computer, etc, he's older than I am..LOL). I will be testing this soon, I will put my house engine back on the dyno, and install a .042 jet with the adjustable jet. I will let you guys know what I find, good or bad.

Barry; G'Day; Not positive haven't touched 1 yet,But my guess is this jet comes W/Orifice that would give you .020-.100?? Jet size From years of ope shop ownership Guessing; It would only make sense; I want to see 1 & fig. out what carb they came from and proceed........ Dave

What I have is a very simple design. Its the stock bowl bolt, drilled and tapped for a adjusting screw (looks just like a Tillotson screw). I don't know how to post pics, but you can see it here:
http://www.stoutracingengines.com/clone-carbs.html
Just scroll down some. I got mine from Lewis by the way.

What I have is a very simple design. Its the stock bowl bolt, drilled and tapped for a adjusting screw (looks just like a Tillotson screw). I don't know how to post pics, but you can see it here:
http://www.stoutracingengines.com/clone-carbs.html
Just scroll down some. I got mine from Lewis by the way.
This should/could/would be 'perfect' for a S/A modified class....shouldn't it? I 'do' understand why it would Not be 4-stock! The ? is....Do the 'kits' come big 'enough' for Alky?

Back