AKRA 2014 rules

AKRA doesnt have the say if its a sticky,bob evans has the say

Actually AKRA would have a say .....Posting (sticky) of the rules without consent of AKRA would be a violation of current copyright law.

Any copying, reproduction, distribution, or public dissemination (posting to the internet) without the expressed consent (preferably written) of the author (AKRA), would constitute copyright infringement, and subject the violator to potential civil liability ... up to $150,000 per violation .

Actually AKRA would have a say .....Posting (sticky) of the rules without consent of AKRA would be a violation of current copyright law.

Any copying, reproduction, distribution, or public dissemination (posting to the internet) without the expressed consent (preferably written) of the author (AKRA), would constitute copyright infringement, and subject the violator to potential civil liability ... up to $150,000 per violation .

dang, makes me wanna run a 206. what a nasty reply! theirs is posted on the web.

dang, makes me wanna run a 206. what a nasty reply! theirs is posted on the web.

Wasn't intended to be "nasty" ... just factual ... to point out that a "sticky" of the rules without permission would constitute a violation of copyright law..

As a side note, I don't believe WKA allows the public distribution of their rules without "prior written consent" either.

Wasn't intended to be "nasty" ... just factual ... and answer the question as to why they don't appear as a sticky.

As a side note, I don't believe WKA allows the public distribution of their rules without "prior written consent" either.

as a side note I wasn't referring to the wka either just Briggs rules on their engine as they are ran. thank you

And don't for a minute consider cloning the rules, that would be unscrupulous.
its beyond the realm why these rules are held so secretly and you have to buy into them even to participate in the sport. I also don't understand how you can copyright something that is so frequently changed. All the poster asked was what it would take for them to be made into a sticky where everybody could see them, even the newbies. His intentions were good but were made to look bad just for asking.
as a side note I did buy a rule book!

Last edited:
This is kart racing not obama cheese.AKRA paid to make the rules and books.AKRA also is a advertiser on this site.They dont sell parts or engines.They do sell memberships that will insure you while on the track both from injury and liability.You dont have to buy them to pasrticipate.

its beyond the realm why these rules are held so secretly and you have to buy into them even to participate in the sport. ...

Shu, nothing secretive about the rules ... they are published in the annual AKRA Tech Manual ... updates are posted on the AKRA website as well as this forum.

I guess what I can’t understand is why so much criticism and indignation is directed at AKRA for doing what has been the standard in the sport for many years. For as long as I can recall, WKA has published their rules in an annual Tech Manual, which was the only way for competitors to get a copy of the tech specification and rules. They have always required purchase of the Tech Manual in order to get a hard copy of the rules, and have never allowed duplication or public distribution of their rules. Neither have they posted their rules for download or distribution on their website or any other internet location.

Even today if you want a hard copy of the WKA rules for their Flathead, Animal and Clone engines, you have to purchase a copy of their annual Tech Manual .... IKF also requires purchase of their annual Tech Manual in order to get a hard copy of the rules.

Both WKA and IKF charge $30 for their respective Tech Manuals ... AKRA charges $10.

Why is so much indignation directed at AKRA for charging $10, when other organizations charge 3 times that amount.

Bottom line is that sales of their Tech Manual is one way these organizations generate revenue to recover a portion of the expenses associated with their operation.

... I also don't understand how you can copyright something that is so frequently changed ....”.

Changes or revisions have no bearing on copyright protection ... Also, current U.S. law does not require the use of a copyright notice, or the filing of copyright intent, and grants automatic copyright protection to the original author.

.... All the poster asked was what it would take for them to be made into a sticky where everybody could see them, even the newbies. His intentions were good but were made to look bad just for asking ...

Nothing in my posts was directed to the individual that posed that question .... I don’t know the answer to the question, I’ll have to defer to someone else to answer that ... my gut feeling is that you are not going to see the rules posted as a "sticky” on this forum ..... again, for the reasons I enumerated above.

... as a side note I did buy a rule book!

Great, then you are covered. Purchase of an annual Tech Manual should be considered a necessity for participation in the sport, and it is difficult to comprehend how anyone can claim the $10 expenditure as conditional to their involvement or continued involvement in the sport.

Shu, nothing secretive about the rules ... they are published in the annual AKRA Tech Manual ... updates are posted on the AKRA website as well as this forum.

I guess what I can’t understand is why so much criticism and indignation is directed at AKRA for doing what has been the standard in the sport for many years. For as long as I can recall, WKA has published their rules in an annual Tech Manual, which was the only way for competitors to get a copy of the tech specification and rules. They have always required purchase of the Tech Manual in order to get a hard copy of the rules, and have never allowed duplication or public distribution of their rules. Neither have they posted their rules for download or distribution on their website or any other internet location.

Even today if you want a hard copy of the WKA rules for their Flathead, Animal and Clone engines, you have to purchase a copy of their annual Tech Manual .... IKF also requires purchase of their annual Tech Manual in order to get a hard copy of the rules.

Both WKA and IKF charge $30 for their respective Tech Manuals ... AKRA charges $10.

Why is so much indignation directed at AKRA for charging $10, when other organizations charge 3 times that amount.

Bottom line is that sales of their Tech Manual is one way these organizations generate revenue to recover a portion of the expenses associated with their operation.

Changes or revisions have no bearing on copyright protection ... Also, current U.S. law does not require the use of a copyright notice, or the filing of copyright intent, and grants automatic copyright protection to the original author.

Nothing in my posts was directed to the individual that posed that question .... I don’t know the answer to the question, I’ll have to defer to someone else to answer that ... my gut feeling is that you are not going to see the rules posted as a "sticky” on this forum ..... again, for the reasons I enumerated above.

Great, then you are covered. Purchase of an annual Tech Manual should be considered a necessity for participation in the sport, and it is difficult to comprehend how anyone can claim the $10 expenditure as conditional to their involvement or continued involvement in the sport.

Got my first wka certification in 1995, signed by Ralph Helms and kept them up until 2005 then went to the akra in 2010. I have a file cabinet full of tech manuals and updates thru the years so this is nothing new to me. I bought the 2014 wka manual at the Dayton swap meet but couldn't find any akra manuals there so I ordered mine from Jimmy. we field 5 karts from my garage and can run clones,stock animal, open animal,flathead limited or stock flatties and I could have a 206 tomorrow if I wanted one. One thing that disturbs me is when a newby asks a question on here they most of the time are treated as a moron for asking. If we want this to grow everybody needs to be more helpful rather than hateful. Sorry if I offended you Stoney

USKRA has their complete rules posted on their Facebook group page free!

That would be great if he were asking for those rules, but he wasn't.
Seeing as how he was aking about AKRA rules, he probably is running under those rules and running at tracks that run under those rules (As are 99.9% of the country). So how will the USKRA rules help him in those regards? That was a rhetorical question by the way. I already know the answer to it.

If you wish to push the USKRA agenda, it would peobably be best to start a thread doing so. Having a designated thread will benefit your needs more.

you totally missed the point..........AKRA or anyone else on this site cannot make a sticky without the consent of bob evans.........now you know the rest of the story

Got my first wka certification in 1995, signed by Ralph Helms and kept them up until 2005 then went to the akra in 2010. I have a file cabinet full of tech manuals and updates thru the years so this is nothing new to me.

That’s great .. It was either 1985 or 1986 that I received my first WKA certification. Later upgrade to WKA Level 2 (national certification) ... Also AKRA certification ....So, now that we both have presented our credentials ......

In 1995 when you first received your certification you where required to purchase a Tech Manual, the cost of which was included in your membership dues. And every year since then, that you have retained you membership and certification, you have been required to purchased a WKA Tech Manual in order to receive the rules ... as evidenced by your statement “... I have a cabinet full of tech manuals ...” .

In a prior post you stated, regarding AKRA ...” its beyond the realm why these rules are held so secretly and you have to buy into them even to participate in the sport. ...”

Here's where I find your statement and position to be inconsistent and contradictory .... at any point during all those years that you were purchasing WKA Tech Manuals, did you ever publically question WKA’s policy and accuse them of being “secretive” in the distribution of their rules ... or have you ever accused them of forcing the purchase of a Tech Manual as a prerequisite to “participate in the sport”

... we field 5 karts from my garage and can run clones,stock animal, open animal,flathead limited or stock flatties and I could have a 206 tomorrow if I wanted one ....

OK ... again that’s great .... I could have a 206 tomorrow also ....but how is that relevant to the topic and discussion at hand ???

...One thing that disturbes me is when a newby asks a question on here they most of the time are treated as a moron for asking ....”

I will challenge you to show evidence where either myself or anyone else contributing on this thread has treated the original poster as a “moron” ?? At worst he failed to receive a direct answer to his inquiry ...” what it would take to get the rules posted as a “sticky”

As I stated in my previous post I don’t have an answer to his question, but I did comment to the fact that due to the potential for violation of copyright laws, it would probably not be a wise decision to fire up the scanner and post copyright protected material on a public forum.

Now I ask ... do you have the answer to his question .... and did you offer any insight, or make any constructive contribution to the thread, in an attempt to answer the newbies question ??

...If we want this to grow everybody needs to be more helpful rather than hateful ...”

Finally a point of mutual agreement.

...Sorry if I offended you Stoney

No apology necessary ... I’m not that easily offended

Last edited:
Buy the rule book read it and follow it and quit whining

Best advice iv seen in this whole thread!!

Stop the whining, buy a rulebook and go racing, it is $10 folks, if you cant afford a $10 rulebook while your buying $250/set tires, $500-1000 engines, and $300 clutches, then you seriously need to take a step back and rethink your choice of hobby or why you are in this sport.

Back