alky or gas animal carb - how do I know

Legends13

I bought a used animal, and the previous owner never ran it as he got it with a kart but switched to clone. My question is how do I know if the carb is set for alky or gas? I need it to be gas. If it is alky, is it just a jet change, or more to it?

Was the engine built by a known engine builder, ie Faster Motors, Tod Miller, Dover? If so you could call who built it and ask them. Generally though if you try to run it on gas and it spits and sputters and won't run without the the throttle almost full it's got alky jets in it. What you'll need is a gas nozzle, pilot jet and main jet to switch it back to gas. It's not a difficult job to do.

thanks. I don't know who built it. I figured kind of what you said about it spitting and sputtering, just didn't know f there was a physical way to tell.

Simple way to tell, the range of jet sizes on Briggs motors will reveal, based on the stamped numbers. See below:

Gas: low-speed jets between .30-.34 & high-speed between .90-.98

Alky: low-speed jets closer to .40 & high-speed over 1.30mm

Those number above are in mm as they come from Briggs (so low-speed is .34mm = .013 thousandths, and the high-speed of .98mm is actually .0386 thousandths)

A pin-gauge will tell you. If it's an alky setup, and you want to convert to gas, a few more changes besides jets are needed.

Ya, I was just going to say that Jamie. I regularly drill the gas jets and don't remark them. On WKA stuff I will sand the numbers off, but I don't think you can get away with that in IKF (correct me if I am wrong, Dan.)
A set of pin gauges will tell you for sure what you have....but as someone else suggested - run it on gas and see what happens. You won't hurt the engine for all the longer it will take to figure out if it runs correctly or not.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ya know, I sometimes forget how resourceful racers are! Good point guys, and it's perfectly legal, within IKF, to drill a jet, then sand off the numbers. Tech focuses on diameters w/ pin gauges, so the .03937 number gets used a bunch to figure legality (converting from metric to thousandths of an inch) in the tech barn.

The main jet for methanol is usually somewhere between .045 and .055" depending on how the carb is built.

Back