AmB TranX 160 Transponder Batteries

MikeBoone

If you guys recall, I had asked about battery replacement on the 1st gen and 2nd transponders due to the batteries reaching the end of their life?

Also about finding out that AmB will not service those transponders so that you are forced into trading the old transponders in for the new ones that you MUST pay the activation fee on annually?

Just to let you know, if you have the 1st or 2nd gen TranX 160 transponders, I have figured out a process to change out the battery.

I have an old style one I need to do. Light only blinks red in the charger and dies immediately when removed even after days of being on it.
A UK site used to have a how to online but it seems to have gone away.

If you don't have time to do it yourself (like me these days) this guy may be an option. He did my old style Tranx 160 last Summer for I think something like $60 which included the batteries. He mostly does RC transponders and was real busy so barely had time to do mine and wasn't sure if he was going to continue to do them.
http://www.krcproducts.com/main_pages/services.htm

Maybe starring Mike Boone's hands... wait....nevermind. I am sure A certain someone from Darlington SC will take that in a direction not intended and NOT suitable for women or children!!

There are actually three iterations of TranX transponders. There are two that I can change the battery in. The other is a lost cause. Stay tuned!!!

So, in addition to the perfection of the Sissy Strap, I can add Transponder Services!!

Is that the deal with transponders? I've been looking on eBay to purchase one and they all seem to come with a 1,2 or 5 year service agreement. I know my race partner doesn't have any service agreement on his. Only been road racing this year, so having your own transponder was new to me and I didn't know how it worked. Can you still find older ones that you don't need an agreement.
Thx.

You can find one used I suppose, mine is well over twelve years old and still going strong. I never leve it sitting in the charger constantly, only the day before the race. I suspect it will soon from age/use fail at any time, thinking to replace the battery soon.

Per my post above, I replaced the batteries last year in my old Tranx 160. It was purchased I think (memory is getting bad) in 2001. It was still working last year before getting new batts but was getting weak. I've used it three or four times since and works like new with same charge time frame. I can charge it on Thursday and it is good through Sunday and into Monday.

I used to RC race, so I'm very familiar with soldering batteries together, wiring, etc, and still have my soldering station and everything.
I'm trying to find the DIY for the old 4-screw type transponders of where to cut the white stuff to get to the battery inside, anyone?
Also, has anyone simply embedded a connector into the transponder and used an external battery pack instead?

here's a link a very old thread on another site [url]http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?t=41792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/URL] I have replaced several by removing the white filler with a dremel tool, soldiering on small pcs of wire and soldiering to batteries... filled back up with sensor safe rtv and put back on... a few I didn't think were going to make it as I got a flashing red right away or after 1st charge, but I left it totally discharge and charged again and they worked fine... good luck

What I'm looking for is where to cut the white goop so I don't cut in the wrong place. Isn't it on the opposite side, opposite end of the two charging contacts?

Back